PDA

View Full Version : CONFEDERATE WREATH BUCKLE, 1810 LC, and more amazing relics at a "hunted out" site!

Isaac
02-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Today was fun to say the least! Went back to the "hunted out" site I found a FE, Fat IH and KGII last week. The snow finally melted and it was time for me to hunt the areas I couldn't hit before. Things started out really slow with only one button for my efforts, but eventually I decided to start gridding extremely slowly in between the iron. I immediately got a low tone and popped out a really cool little watch winder! Not 5 minutes later a get a high tone, a perfect coin signal, next to a large rock and saw a nice looking thick rim in the hole! I immediately knew it was going to be a large cent! It wasn't too shabby condition either! The 1810 is very strong on this coin, that made my day! A few more buttons surfaced over two hours until things got really quiet. So quiet that I decided to move onto the 1810 standing house nearby. I immediately went into the front yard as the sun was setting, hoping to possibly pluck something out from underneath the fill dirt that was scattered throughout this yard. I first find an aluminum pipe and then get a nasty faint deep signal, it was bouncy but was consistent enough for me to dig. I dig, and dig, and dig... pulled out two massive iron nails... still getting that choppy signal... and finally pulled out a huge chunk of brass. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was and I started trembling!!! It was a Wreath to a CS BUCKLE! How amazing is that?!?! I ran around and jumped up and down like a maniac but didn't care. I was having a blast!!! After about 5 minutes of sitting there in awe, I put it away in my backpack and continued digging until I had to go. Between the EMI, trash, and fill dirt at this site, I still found a gorgeous tombac shoe buckle fragment, 4 wheat pennies and a stunning 1892 indian head penny. I can't imagine how to spend a Saturday better than this. Thanks so much for reading! I HAVE TO FIND THAT TONGUE!!!!!!!!! There's a very slim chance it's there still, but I will be going back to look for it! HH!!!!!!!

Isaac

Bucknut
02-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Sweet buckle!! The LC is really nice too!

del
02-28-2016, 01:32 PM
:cheering:great relics and coin Isaac :clapping:may I ask what makes you sure its a CS wreath buckle and not a federal wreath type ?? I believe they both shared the same designs .

Dan

groundhog53946
02-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Wow! Very nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

OxShoeDrew
02-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Those are some wonderful finds Isaac! Congratulations!

Isaac
02-28-2016, 02:02 PM
:cheering:great relics and coin Isaac :clapping:may I ask what makes you sure its a CS wreath buckle and not a federal wreath type ?? I believe they both shared the same designs .

Dan

Thanks so much Dan!!! Can you give an example of one? It looks the exact same as this wreath from this buckle. http://www.relicman.com/plates/imagesplates/P1515A.jpg
http://www.relicman.com/plates/zLibraryPlate.701.CSA.TwoPart001Richmond.htm

del
02-28-2016, 04:30 PM
My point is that there are many varieties of this wreath type , some went to Union buckles some also went to state type wreath buckles (Georgia , Virginia ect.) there is no for sure way of telling what it is without the tongue part but here is just one example type of federal tongue and wreath

Digger_O'Dell
02-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Very cool relics, congrats! I'm actually quite partial to that watch winder. Good luck getting a positive ID on that wreath

MangoAve
02-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Nice score. Did you get an answer on cleaning it? I'd just use a soft toothbrush and water. For now. Maybe the diluted clr could help bring out that brass color without using any harsh things like a brass brush and soap...

My point is that there are many varieties of this wreath type , some went to Union buckles some also went to state type wreath buckles (Georgia , Virginia ect.) there is no for sure way of telling what it is without the tongue part but here is just one example type of federal tongue and wreath

VA is a little north of the Mason-Dixon line. Not that it guarantees anything, just maybe it a slightly higher chance. His has the belt loop pushed in a bit. The Federal picture looks like the loops are thinner and taller than the Confederate example posted. Maybe that could help a bit so far until the tongue is found, if it does get found?

Lodge Scent
02-29-2016, 09:30 PM
oooooooo.........Niiiiiice !

RIdirtdigger
03-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Amazing find Isaac. I hope you can find the missing piece of the buckle!

BTV Digger
03-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Great finds Isaac! Nice that the date on your 1810 LC is so clearly visible. Those Classic Heads typically don't stand up to the test of time that well. Great nab on the buckle as well. Curious to see if you can positively ID Conf. Vs. Fed. Being south of the M.D. Line as Va. is would give me hope that it's Conf. as you mention.

John

Pacivilwarluke
03-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Nice finds buddy! Love that wreath! :)