PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hunt at silver spill house

MIKE54
03-02-2016, 10:09 AM
5298752988After yesterday's hunt there was no way I wasn't going back for another look around. Only found 5 coins, none silver. Funny thing was the copper penny and the clad quarter were both from 1980 and the nickel and 2 wheaties were all 1940. Couldn't match the silver spill, so how about a token spill! Also found the mangled remains of an old copper ring, an old complete compact I think is from the 1920's or 30's, a real pretty button with full gilt and the Ct state seal on it, says " superior quality" on the back (any ideas Dan or Jim) and the other button I found yesterday, kind of fancy. The compact is real heavy, probably still full of makeup but who knows...it's corroded shut and I'm afraid to wreck it. This site is almost 2 acres and fully detectable with no brush or long grass and I'm amazed the only silver I found was in a 1 foot circle. I think someone else had hunted there because I found some precut plugs and maybe they cherry picked the silver but at least they left a few things behind.

Bucknut
03-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Another cool spill! Definitely sounds like someone else got there first but you are not doing too bad there!

BTV Digger
03-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Very nice clean-ups at that site and love that CT button! In Albert's book pp. 124 type 15A or B, though in his reference he states the back mark is Waterbury & Scovill, a common manufacturer back then. Dan will know more. Post-revolution state military, likely early to mid 1800s, perhaps Civil War era if you held me to a guess. Great find.

John

groundhog53946
03-02-2016, 05:20 PM
You're doing well so don't give up on the silver!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

del
03-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Mike our gonna have to change you username to "Spillman" if you keep find coin or token spills ;) congrats on some really nice finds from that house site !!:notworthy:

love that CT button! In Albert's book pp. 124 type 15A or B, perhaps Civil War era if you held me to a guess. Great find.

John

John is spot on Mike the button is a great find and officer's Civil War or just after era , very nice :loveit:

Digger_O'Dell
03-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Nice token spill! I always hate playing cleanup on a site like that after someone cleans out the silver items and leaves everything else.

MIKE54
03-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Very nice clean-ups at that site and love that CT button! In Albert's book pp. 124 type 15A or B, though in his reference he states the back mark is Waterbury & Scovill, a common manufacturer back then. Dan will know more. Post-revolution state military, likely early to mid 1800s, perhaps Civil War era if you held me to a guess. Great find.

JohnThanks for the info John and Dan, would not have guessed it was that old.

Mr. Digger
03-04-2016, 05:20 AM
Love the gilt button. Nice!