PDA

View Full Version : Finally some good signs, and an old bat.

Digger_O'Dell
03-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Hi all,
I finally had some great weather and time to get out for a couple hours this Monday morning after work. I had been researching and trying to find some more obscure older parks that wouldn't be copletely picked clean or so trashed as to make detecting practically impossible.
I happened upon a place not far from where I work that I could find very little info on. Just one old newspaper article from 1909, and that it shows up on a 1937 aerial photo. It's listed as a park on the map, but also has a tiny nature education area at one end I guess is used by the school system. It also has a small rec/meeting building with a fireplace that can be rented. Judging be the street view, it hasn't been majorly modified since the 1937 photo, so was hoping for some good coins finally.
I got to the park early and it didn't take long to realize how clean the park was. No significant amount of trash, yet almost no coins either in the abandoned ball field area. But once along the back edge I got an iffy high tone signal showing about 7 inches. First thing I saw was a roofing nail. But rechecking the hole out pops a wheatie! Wasn't much but clad in thst area after that, but thought to try the big coil for more depth since it was such a clean area.
This time I decided to work my way towards the pavilion area, and i started finding several older memorials, 60s and 70s. But as I moved on I started popping out wheaties-3 in a row. I was sure there must be silver in this area too, the signs are there. But then came the bat!
Some woman walked out from behind the building towards me, and i said good morning. Took my headphones off and she asked me what I was doing, in a nasty tone. Told her I was detecting, being careful to be polite. She got all huffy snd said I couldn't be there, and that I can't dig holes children might fall in. (WTH?) Asked her, What holes? Everything was filled in of course. I also explained that since sharp trash such as nails, etc were being removed it was actually safer! (Held out nails to show her) She of course just got snootier and stated that was tje job of the maintenance crew, and said it was school property so I couldn't be there. Tried to explain it was a park and was public property where detecting was allowed, she really got in a huff and started repeating herself that I needed to leave.
At this point I was ready to use her to plug a hole, I was able to resist and got my hands uncle cheddar from my shovel. Kept repeating to myself that you can't fix stupid (or control freaks) and decided to call it a day.
Will have to contact the city atty next few days and get a letter explain the laws for the simple minded hitlerette. Be a great day to finish out detecting that park!

Wheaties are '42D, '46D, '49, and '55D

lee
03-08-2016, 04:44 AM
i think we have all had them at some point.
what i do now is, explain that i am within the law and if they still keep on going i offer them my phone to call the police....thats usually all it takes and they wander off muttering

Digger_O'Dell
03-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Nice idea, but here people know police won't come for anything less than a serious felony, but not even always then-unless they are bored and want to harass someone. That's why out county sheriff has ads on the radio telling folks to get a gun and take concealed carry permit so good folk can defend themselves. It's not the best of times in this country.

BTV Digger
03-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Sorry about your run in. I've been fortunate to avoid getting yelled at so far. Some questions about what I'm doing, or simple no's when asking permissions on pvt. prop. but nothing overly rude or demonstrative. On the school grounds I have hunted I've typically stayed away until the summer after the kids are out to avoid your very issue. Good luck next time.

John

Bucknut
03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Hope you get back to that place and clean it out! Hopefully that is the last time you will run into that lady. I think you did the right thing and just left...who knows what she might have done?

MIKE54
03-08-2016, 07:34 PM
I don't like those old bats either

Ill Digger
03-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Wow! A crazy lady with a weapon!?! What in the world?
I've been approached by lots of people in the past too. Some are just curious, others, like in your case, feel they're the self proclaimed, neighborhood watch leader. And to be wheeling a bat as a weapon? That's a first! Kinda scary. I had a guy threaten to blow my head off if I didn't get off his property once while I looking for a different address that I had permission for. I simply knocked on his door and asked if he knew where the address was. Freaked me out!
But at least you got a couple wheats before the "Bat Lady" swooped in! 😅
Congrats! 😆

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

groundhog53946
03-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Sorry to hear about that Chris. School is out in a couple months so if nothing else you can finish your plundering of that park

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Digger Don
03-11-2016, 08:39 PM
I had a little run in after work tonight. I stopped and got permission at house after work. As I was digging a plug, I heard some one shouting. I took off my head phones and saw an old guy across the street yelling at me. Before i looked up i heard him say " your trespassing". When he saw that I was looking at him he yelled "can I help you with something" I simply yelled back," Sure, come on over" and kept on detecting. He disappeared after he saw me talking to the home owner. It takes all kinds.

Digger_O'Dell
03-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I had a little run in after work tonight. I stopped and got permission at house after work. As I was digging a plug, I heard some one shouting. I took off my head phones and saw an old guy across the street yelling at me. Before i looked up i heard him say " your trespassing". When he saw that I was looking at him he yelled "can I help you with something" I simply yelled back," Sure, come on over" and kept on detecting. He disappeared after he saw me talking to the home owner. It takes all kinds.

Yeah, unfortunately too many people with too little to do other than stick their noses where they don't belong.