PDA

View Full Version : Copper, flying eagle, Indians, and relics

RIdirtdigger
03-14-2016, 01:09 PM
What a fantastic weak it's been weather wise! On Wednesday afternoon I did a little detecting in the northern part of the state, beautiful 73°, didn't find much but found a cool pre civil war barometer part, and a really nice fragment to a silver applied shoe buckle frame. Saturday I was on the road early and at my location around 7 AM. First site was a poor colonial, barely any iron, oh well so I moved on to a site I had hit in the past but hadn't really spent much time. It's been cherry picked over the years but I managed to dig an 1864 Indian and an 1861 fatty Indian alongside a few other relics. I hit a few more sites after that but didn't find anything worth showing. Sunday I finally got out with Jarrod, it's been a while for him and he was really looking forward to get the coil on the ground. We headed over to CT to an area of woods we hiked our butts off looking for sites in October but couldn't find any. We did some better research this time and again hiked our butts off for some sites but only ended up finding one. Of course the site was pounded to death but I managed to dig an 1857 flying eagle, my first one of those for the year. Jarrod didn't get much at all, so it was pretty dissapointing. I asked Jarrod if he had enough time to hit one more site and luckily he did. I decided to take him to the site where I got my first ever reale in January but hadn't spent much time there and hadn't been back since that day. I'm glad I took him there. In a little over an hour we both scored coppers, he got a Canadian bank token and I got a matron (dateless) alongside a couple of buttons. We are likely making a return trip there since the area is vast and the site still has a good amount of targets left. Overall nice weekend.

The Rebel
03-14-2016, 01:12 PM
WTG on the finds!

RIdirtdigger
03-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Bucknut
03-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Those are some great finds! Nice FE!

OxShoeDrew
03-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Nice detecting Jim!:thumbsup01:
Don't you hate those D buckles?....they sound sooo good.

Digger_O'Dell
03-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Very nice old coppers! Sounds like a great weekend, well done!

del
03-14-2016, 10:07 PM
very pretty shoe buckle fragment Jim , always a heart breaker to find'em in pieces , congrats on the coins though . A great rescue to save the hunt !!

Dan