PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Up North--Day 1

Full Metal Digger
03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Hey Diggers,
For some time now I have been planning a trip up to northern Illinois to meet Digger Don and his son Alec for some metal detecting. We all know how well they do and the great finds they frequently make. It was a 4-hour drive for me. Don met me in a small town that seems trapped in time. About 1930 I'd say. It's a little railroad town that modern times has passed by. They still have horse hitching posts in front of most of the houses which are all beautiful Victorian style with huge lawns. The first door we knocked on we got a yes (Don is such a charmer).

It was a 1914 house sitting on a big corner lot. Don struck silver first. We spent a solid 2 hours there and pulled a bunch of wheat cents and 1 silver each. My best find was a copper store token good for 1 Loaf of Bread!

Next we drove to the 1870s house where he had previously found a 2-cent piece. This yard was also quite large but there were very few signals. After about 20 minutes I got a nice 12-10 down about 7 inches and dug a 1913 buffalo nickel (type 2). Later I dug a SWEET 1866 IHC that has a beautiful green patina (We both thought of Del right away!). A couple wheat cents and really nothing much else. I asked the home owner if it had ever been detected. They bought the house in 1981 and said no one else had detected it before.

Thank you SO much Don and Alec for hosting me and taking me to so many great detecting spots during my stay! I had a wonderful time and hope to do it again real soon.

Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH!

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Wow, Dave, that 1866 Indian Head is gorgeous! Not a common date and the patina is perfect! :loveit:

I really like that bread token too! :thumbsup02:

p.s. Have you tried the kiss proof makeup on yet? :lol:

Bucknut
03-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Yeah that IHP is awesome! So pretty!

del
03-21-2016, 03:09 PM
:shocked03:"pretty green Indian" :drool::drool::drool:

Digger_O'Dell
03-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Love that IH! Great finds all around. The token is a sweet find too!

MIKE54
03-21-2016, 10:12 PM
That's a nice selection of goodies for sure. And that Indian is beautiful too.

Digger Don
03-22-2016, 06:06 PM
That was a great hunt for sure. everything you dug cleaned up really nice.
I really like that token. I tried doing some research and googled old photos of the town, but couldn't find anything on Downies.
You may have dug that the last evidence of its existence.