PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Up North-Day 2

Full Metal Digger
03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Hey Diggers,
I awoke early on Saturday morning and enjoyed my "free" continental breakfast at the Joliet Comfort Inn. Don, Alec, myself and Tom (Hiluxyota) were planning to meet at an old park that had some potential since it was in a town founded in 1854. The temperature was just above freezing but the sunshine helped. We spent 2 hours there and all of us only found a wheat cent or two (I only got 1).

We decided to go visit some old farm houses that date to the 1870s (Alec does great online research). We stopped at the first one and got a yes from the owner. Everyone was making great finds except me. A large cent and 2 seated dimes were found among other great finds. I did not find a single coin in that yard but I did get an AWESOME skeleton key. This was a bucket list item for me since I have never found one before. I was just as happy as the guys who found the old coins.

We went to 2 more farm houses and got permission at both. The first one had already been detected quite thoroughly by a relative. After an hour of no signals we were off to the next one. I only found a couple modern coins there but Alec made a great find in the first 2 minutes.

One interesting find I made was a teeny tiny hem weight. It is very small (only 1/4 inch across) and I believe it goes to a doll's dress.

Even though my finds were few I still had an awesome time. Tom is a great guy and we all had a good time joking around.

Here is a pic and thanks for looking.

Bucknut
03-21-2016, 01:57 PM
That key is VERY nice!

del
03-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Great key Dave , congrats on getting a bucket-lister !!

Digger Don
03-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Great looking key. Love that green patina