PDA

View Full Version : Bucket lister, silver, & relics!!

Digger_O'Dell
03-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Hi all,
Got out to several sites this weekend and today with varying results. The first site was an 1839 church I got a permission on. Not much found here so far, but told it's been detected a lot in the past. I did manage a couple old wheaties in the gravel drive between cemetery lots, an old bike tag, an old brass tag from a sewing machine, harmonica reed, and a partial wheel hub from a model T.

Next I was off to the old park where I found the old foundations and walls. This time I moved down to another section where I saw an old silo and some old walls in the woods. Sure enough, I actually found an old cellar hole, with the old well, and even a bottle dump. Being close to the road it must have been picked clean over the years. I did manage to find one silver rosie in the woods nearby though.

Across the street from this site is a sports park that apparently dates back to 1922. This park also has been hit hard as I got little clad even. But in one corner near the entrance nestled between some nails I managed to squeeze out another silver rosie!

On the way home I stopped at an abandoned house that's marked as park preservation land. Looks like the owners had left everything behind when they moved out. Though it was getting dark, I did find some clad and another wheatie for the day.

Today I had to stop at the DMV to renew my plates so left several hours early as one never knows how long it will take. I got in and out in 20 minutes-wow! So with about 2 hours left before work I stopped at a little city park not far from work. I didn't give it much hope as it's a fairly new park, though the history of the location goes back to the mid 1800s. Not much at first, but once I worked my way towards the far end I picked up a wheatie. Good sign! Lots of trash so slow going was key. I found a little more clad, another wheatie and my first gold dollar coin.

But here's where the fun started. First I get a 12-43 signal at about 6 inches and was awarded with a 1923 Merc. Then I got a sketchy 12-08 bouncing to 12-14 at 7 inches. I thought it was likely another piece of trash but something told me to dig it. I found this big crusty disc eventually and once I broke it apart I was amazed to see red power and silver peeking out of it. Upon a bit of cleaning it turns out to be a corroded V nickel dated 1891! My first, and a bucket lister! Looks like it was mint when it was dropped, but unfortunately didn't weather the soil too well. One odd find too was a 50 cal. bullet. Fired from a smooth bore as there is no rifling. No way to date, but post civil war. Guessing around 1880s era.

Both Rosies are 1946. Wheaties are 1916, 45, 46, 46D, 46D, and 55D. Total of $3.35 in clad

Digger_O'Dell
03-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Cleaned up another corroded penny in the lye dip - got a 1920 wheatie! Total of 7 wheaties for the weekend.

Full Metal Digger
03-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Nice assortment of finds. I'm confused about the gold dollar coin you found though. HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
03-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Nice assortment of finds. I'm confused about the gold dollar coin you found though. HH, Dave.

Sorry, should have clarified that it's a clad "gold" dollar-2009 Zachary Taylor presidential dollar.

wisconsin digger
03-22-2016, 04:37 AM
Nice finds. The V's an old one don't think I ever got one that far back. It's surprising more are not found as it should of been a popular coins to have back in the day. nice finds

chief5709
03-22-2016, 04:39 AM
Congrats on the V nickel

Digger_O'Dell
03-22-2016, 05:06 AM
Nice finds. The V's an old one don't think I ever got one that far back. It's surprising more are not found as it should of been a popular coins to have back in the day. nice finds

Did a little research on the particular area. Turns out that though the park isn't that old, the area has been used heavily over the years. Apparently workers were housed there and worked in that area to build the railroads back in 1850. Should be more goodies to be found!

giant056
03-22-2016, 05:11 AM
Fantastic bunch of finds !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup02:

Bucknut
03-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Great old V nick! I too was looking for a gold coin...lol!

leslie(nova scotia)
03-22-2016, 09:29 AM
Nice to get away for a field trip. Nice read and post. Good hunting youz!

OxShoeDrew
03-22-2016, 03:34 PM
V nickels are tough to find in this neck of the woods :cheesysmile: You got an old site there! Congrats on the bucket lister!:congrats:

Digger Don
03-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Congrats on your Silvers and bucket lister V nickel. Great Find

del
03-23-2016, 04:03 AM
The area around the foundation looks good i bet it might be worth exploring some more and congrats on the V-nickle :cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
03-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Congrats on a first Chris!! You have a a good start to the year, WTG.