PDA

View Full Version : 300 Years of Finds in One Hunt!

Pennsylvania Treasures
03-30-2016, 05:04 PM
This hunt was from last Saturday and I'm now just getting to post it. So here we are. A few weeks ago I had went to a site that I had researched to ask at. We go to ask permission and no one is home so I put in the next site to go knock at. Well mistakenly I put in the same adress in as the place my father and I had just knocked at where no one was home. The site I was really hoping to get permission at. Well just as I was going to say okay let's head out and go to the spot I thought I put in, my dad realized a new car in out by the chicken house. So we head over and what do you know the guy is there! We ask for permission and he has no problem of it! He tells us he will only be there for about 30 minutes. So we get right to it! I had known the house dated to the late 1700's and looked very nice. He informed us though that behind the house stood a 1730's starter home. We made our way over there and right away I get a nice oxen knob. I swing a little more and then get another signal right next to the oxen knob. I dig down and then find the target in a dirt ball on my shovel! I pop it open and see a coin...Nickel sized. I rub it off a bit and notice it's pretty old. I then see it....the big 5! My firs shield buckle and the date of 1873! After that we had to head out but we would back soon!

The next weekend we head right back out there. This is where the fun happens.... Right away I go straight to the starter house with my father and about 3 minuets in I dig a nice iron 1770's shoe buckle frame. We keep moving. Around the starter house I was able to score a Tombac button and a Crotal bell half. I still have to pound it more. I move out towards the 1793 main house front yard and a pretty big one at that! I start digging and get a lot of trash but end up getting in the side yard of the house which had an 1830 addition. I was on that side. Also in that side yard sitting about 30-45 yards from the starter house was the original starter barn (1730). I dig around and get a worn slick copper (most likely a KG), two Crotal bell pieces, a silver dime (1946), and then this happens.... I dig about 3-4 inches down and find a buckle of some sort. A very decorative and old buckle. That was all I knew of it at that time since I couldn't make out wether it was a knee buckle or something else. At first I thought it was a knee buckle so I went with that. Little did I know what I had actually dug was a 1680's shoe buckle! Thanks to help from Dan and others I could ID this. It was found outside the starter barn about 30 feet from the front. My first ever 1600's find! I kept going after that and got another slick more than likely KG and a couple other odds and ends. My father also was able to get a nice KGII! It was a great day and I can't wait to get back out there!

Enjoy the pictures and happy hunting!

del
03-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Seth , the home site sounds like a great area with lots of room and finds still left to be found . I hope you and your Dad continue to do well there , and I just love the early shoe buckle :smitten:and other relics . Congrats again !!

Pennsylvania Treasures
03-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Also wanted to add a close up of 300+ year old silver tinn or plate still left on it! Just mesmerizing to think of what this has seen! Thanks again Dan for all the help in identifying and giving me information!

Pennsylvania Treasures
03-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Seth , the home site sounds like a great area with lots of room and finds still left to be found . I hope you and your Dad continue to do well there , and I just love the early shoe buckle :smitten:and other relics . Congrats again !!

Thanks big time Dan! I'd say it's arguably my best find to date!

aloldstuff
03-30-2016, 08:11 PM
What a nice site. Some great finds so far and there is still a lot left. Please keep us posted....:congrats:

MangoAve
03-31-2016, 07:03 AM
That 1600s buckle is a sweet find. Grats on the crotal pieces. I am not sure If I found small pieces the other day in the road of a crotal. They rang up like brass pieces.. esp being like 1/2-3/4" sizes, but nothing else was near. They aren't big enough for a positive ID but they aren't iron.

The Rebel
03-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Awesome Hunt!

BTV Digger
04-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Some really nice old finds and congrats on cracking the 1600s! I really sense your excitement and thanks for the nice narrative.

John

OxShoeDrew
04-02-2016, 04:10 AM
Looks like a great place! Congrats on the sweet buckle!...and the large crotal! :congrats:

RIdirtdigger
04-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Awesome finds!!!!