PDA

View Full Version : CELLAR HOLE WITH GARY*2 CENTER & SILVER

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 06:41 PM
gary picked me up at 8 am and headed to 2 new holes i found.i got a decent 1864 2 cent piece.this worn coin is holed and definately silver.just no clue what it is :mad: same diameter as a US dime(seated dime in pic for reference) and worn beyond recognition :bangahead01:
probably a draped bust dime with my luck :crying02: maybe a half reale? i don't know.guess i will never know :interesting:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 06:45 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 06:46 PM
more pics

del
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM
hey Dave , looks like a nice hunt and area, was it a little hot today:huh: nice two cent'er . the silver coin in question , is it pretty thin :huh: probably a half reale or a very worn seated as the capped bust dimes are a little larger in diameter than the seated .Gary pull up anything good:huh: as far as the creepy crawler looking thing a regular bath routine with a good soap will keep them and most other pests of you buddy. lol lol :poke: :teasing:

Dan

coinnut
08-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey dave, Nice 2 cent piece :clapping: The other one is probably a Half Reale. I've seen some pretty worn out ones. They saw a lot of use and were not as deeply impressioned as other coins. So don't fret, it's probably not a Draped Bust. But then again, we are talking about YOUR luck lol But here's some info I found online about that milipede you found:
Millipedes are not poisonous, but many species have repugnatorial glands capable of producing irritating fluids which may produce allergic reactions in individuals sensitive to insects or insect toxins. A few millipede species are capable of squirting these fluids over a distance of several inches. Persons handling millipedes will notice a lingering odor on their hands and the fluid can be dangerous to the eyes. It is not advisable to handle millipedes, but when one has been held, hands should be washed with soap and water until the odor is completely gone.
So be careful out there Indiana Jones :cheesysmile: Nice hunt and it looks like you guys have some new sites to hit!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
hey Dave , looks like a nice hunt and area, was it a little hot today:huh: nice two cent'er . the silver coin in question , is it pretty thin :huh: probably a half reale or a very worn seated as the capped bust dimes are a little larger in diameter than the seated .Gary pull up anything good:huh: as far as the creepy crawler looking thing a regular bath routine with a good soap will keep them and most other pests of you buddy. lol lol :poke: :teasing:

Dan

it was warm but not too bad.the silver coin is super thin!
i think whatever it is was way way older than a seated dime.probably a half reale i'm guessin. that critter is a millipede and i like em crawlin on me.no soap and water for me dude.i like my creepy crawlers

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey dave, Nice 2 cent piece :clapping: The other one is probably a Half Reale. I've seen some pretty worn out ones. They saw a lot of use and were not as deeply impressioned as other coins. So don't fret, it's probably not a Draped Bust. But then again, we are talking about YOUR luck lol But here's some info I found online about that milipede you found:
Millipedes are not poisonous, but many species have repugnatorial glands capable of producing irritating fluids which may produce allergic reactions in individuals sensitive to insects or insect toxins. A few millipede species are capable of squirting these fluids over a distance of several inches. Persons handling millipedes will notice a lingering odor on their hands and the fluid can be dangerous to the eyes. It is not advisable to handle millipedes, but when one has been held, hands should be washed with soap and water until the odor is completely gone.
So be careful out there Indiana Jones :cheesysmile: Nice hunt and it looks like you guys have some new sites to hit!!

thanks for the info G man! can't be a draped bust dime either cuz a draped is 19 mm and a capped is 18.5 mm .i knew it was a millipede and i thought that smell in the car was gary's azz rofl
nah he didn't squirt on me. thanks dude!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
sorry Dan i forgot to tell ya Gary didn't pull anything worth posting.2 D-buckles

randy
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Nice 2c. Still has lines on shield thumbsup01 Too bad about the silver. The 1/2 reales are really thin, even when not worn.

angellionel
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Sweet hunt and finds, Dave! Yeah, I agree with everyone, that has to be a half reale. It counts! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-05-2010, 08:03 AM
dan or george...ya ever seen a iron horse tack buckle like this one? :confused:

coinnut
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Not in that design, but it could also be for an ox or even some other farm use. They must have had straps to tie down things to a wagon when moving or some more industrial uses for leather straps and large buckles. So it may be from something other than a horse, unless they had a big horse lol It would be nice to hook up to a site, book or museum that shows farm equipment, so we could identify more of these type of iron objects.

NiagaraCountyNY
08-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Great pictures! Congrats on all your finds.Looks like that site will be worth going back.HH

Ill Digger
08-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Man Dave that was a sweet hunt!!
I was thinking spanish silver too....but what do I know :rolleyes: :bop:
I hope I'm lucky enough to find a 2 center some day :drool:
What do they ring up as ?
Yeah and...I wouldn't've been playing with the bugs either :shocked01:
Sweet finds!
Congrats :grin:

NiagaraCountyNY
08-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Back in the day when they used horses to plow and remove trees(stumps) and such,They used some really big horses.Clysdale(the bud wieser horses lol)..Im sure I butchered that spelling.The pictures Ive seen show Big Horses..Not the ones you ride or race nowadays.That buckle just very well may have been for a horse.

RobW
08-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Nice 2 Cent pience...haven't found one of those.......YET. The search goes on.....
So what is up with the fungi pics, being new to the board, I just don't get it. Yes they are pretty. But is that all there is or is there some kinda other thing going on here?

coinnut
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
So what is up with the fungi pics, being new to the board, I just don't get it. Yes they are pretty. But is that all there is or is there some kinda other thing going on here?

Dave is our Ansel Adams lol He takes some great shots and shows some of our members that don't venture out in the woods, what is really out there :yes: The relics in the woods can be far and few between, but the nature is always there. Way to go Dave :clapping:

Epi-hunter
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Really great finds again, Dave! I always love your photos.

I don't like the worm thing, though. :shocked04:stretcher: