PDA

View Full Version : Day One In Connecticut / Door Knocking produces 1700s KG II for Digger Al

Digger Don
03-31-2016, 10:00 PM
Our first day In Connecticut was Friday the 25th. Alec and I decided to try a little door knocking in a small town that Alec found on Google. After trying about four houses, we finally got a yes.We hit the yard for about 45 minutes. I was able to dig a 2001 Dog tag and a 1910 Barber Dime. After a few more tries we Finally got another yes. The house was from the early 1800s and had a nice large side lot. Alec was first on the board with a 1909 VDB wheat Cent. ( no mint mark ). He followed that with a Merc spill, a 1935 & 1945. After digging a bunch of wheats, I dug a 43 Merc.

Then it happened. Alec digs a pretty deep plug and pulls out a crusty greenish coin. After rubbing it a bit a bust started to appear. Alec sent a photo to Del, partly to show off and partly to find out what the heck he just found. It turns out that it was a King George II young head Half Penny. Minted from 1729 to 1739. By far, the oldest coin he's ever dug. Very Cool !!

before we left, I dug one more 43 Merc. We also pulled an even 30 wheats out of the yard.

Hiluxyota (Tom) drove to Connecticut the same day we did, so we met up with him at a park for about an hour.
Alec dug a 1903 Indian and i dug a no date Buff.

I'll be posting Day 2 tomorrow. Cellar hole hunting with Del, Drew, Trooper Bri & Hiluxyota. It just keeps getting better!!!

Digger_O'Dell
03-31-2016, 10:39 PM
Looks like a great hunt! Nice finds, and that copper is really cool! Congrats

del
04-01-2016, 01:11 AM
looks like a great start to the adventure to me , 30 wheats at one spot is amazing !:cheering:Huge congrats goes out to Al for the first copper !!:notworthy:

Dan

aloldstuff
04-01-2016, 05:41 AM
WTG Al, :congrats:on that copper. I wish I could have met up with everybody, maybe another time. Nice haul on the wheats and silvers. Looking forward to day 2 post.

Tony Two-Cent
04-01-2016, 07:58 AM
Huge congrats on getting into the 1700s, Alec! That is awesome! Now I'm glad that I suggested to your mom that she send you guys to Connecticut when she asked me. I want to go up there and detect so bad!

I can't wait to see the results from the rest of your trip! :popcorn:

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
04-01-2016, 09:57 AM
A great start to your wonderful trip guys! Don, I know you were very happy to see Al pull that old copper out of the ground! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your finds. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

badgers325
04-01-2016, 03:48 PM
I am so excited for you guys. Way to go Alec!!

OxShoeDrew
04-02-2016, 05:43 AM
It was sure a pleasure having you boys in our neck of the woods...I'm sorry I hit most of those holes before...but, as Dan mentioned, thankfully I didn't a good job on that second to last one. :)
It was a great time to be here too....those woods are already starting to change and will be choked with foliage in a few weeks. That is an amazing amount of wheats! Sadly we don't have your IL dirt here. We'll have to do it again at some point....congrats to all of you for some wonderful finds!

The Rebel
04-03-2016, 12:17 PM
WTG on the KG & other relics!