PDA

View Full Version : Cut Copper Found in Connecticut / Any Idea What It Is ?

Digger Don
04-01-2016, 11:02 PM
While we were hunting with Del and the guys, Alec dug this cut copper. We have no idea what it is and were wondering if any body recognizes what little we have to show.
I know its not much to go on. I'm afraid to clean it any more than it is. The other side is toast.
Thanks, Don

Full Metal Digger
04-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Hmmm, looks like DUL to me. Perhaps a French coin?

Ill Digger
04-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I seen that in the video last night. I immediately thought it was a cut counterfeit because of the gray looking color to it. It reminded me of some of counterfeit pictures I've seen posted from some of their cellar hole hunts out that way. Where they've found pewter ones. But those are usually all flakey, and scaley.

But as far as helping IDing it? Yeah, I'm no help. :lol:

BTV Digger
04-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Hi Don,

I think it's a cut Rosa Americana coin with the latin words UTILE DULCI (Useful and Pleasant). I can't gage the size and the resultant denomination (twopence, halfpenny etc) from your pictures, but that would be my guess - 1720'ish or so. Your Redbook will have it listed in the colonial issues section. Tell Digger Al congrats on a nice find.

John

del
04-04-2016, 10:35 PM
John , you have a great eye .if you look at the first and third pictures you can see the first part b of the date 17. It is a Rosa Americana coin . Well done again John

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

chief5709
04-05-2016, 05:42 AM
:notworthy: great find, great ID. Nice job!

MangoAve
04-05-2016, 06:32 AM
Lucky you. You got an older coin than I do. My oldest is 1734 and I LIVE in this area. I wouldn't clean it any more. Just renwax or seal it in some other way. I can tell you aren't gonna get any better detail; you might actually lose some if you clean further. Grats tho.

if you look at the first and third pictures you can see the first part b of the date 17. It is a Rosa Americana coin .

Yeah, I see that too altho I see it best in the 4th pic.

Digger Don
04-05-2016, 07:23 AM
Hi Don,

I think it's a cut Rosa Americana coin with the latin words UTILE DULCI (Useful and Pleasant). I can't gage the size and the resultant denomination (twopence, halfpenny etc) from your pictures, but that would be my guess - 1720'ish or so. Your Redbook will have it listed in the colonial issues section. Tell Digger Al congrats on a nice find.

John Thanks for the ID John. I really didn't think there was enough to ID it. Very Cool

Digger Don
04-05-2016, 07:39 AM
John , you have a great eye .if you look at the first and third pictures you can see the first part b of the date 17. It is a Rosa Americana coin . Well done again John

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk Wow, now that you mentioned it, I can see the 172 Thanks.

Tony Two-Cent
04-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Great ID and an awesome find, Alec! :thumbsup02:

It is definitely a 172_ Rosa Americana! :yes:

BTV Digger
04-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks Dan. I find doing amateur sleuthing on this topic is quite fun, and happy to help fellow detectorists out if I can. You're the dog though. I'd refer to you the majority of the time!

BTV Digger
04-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the ID John. I really didn't think there was enough to ID it. Very Cool

You're quite welcome Don.