PDA

View Full Version : Cellar Hole Hunt With Del, OxShoeDrew & Trooper Bri

Digger Don
04-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Last Saturday, Alec and I had the privilege to hunt with Del, Drew & Brian from the forum. Hiluxyota made the drive to Conncticut as well. Del lined up a few cellar holes for us to hit. I've been reading posts from these guys for a few years now and never realized how beautiful the areas they hunt really are and what they go through to get their finds. They definitely earn them!!

The first 3 or 4 holes didn't produce much, but after that things started picking up. Trooper Bri and Hiluxyota both dug nice coppers and then I got a 12-42 at about 7". I dug the plug and there it was in the hole, a beautiful crusty coin. Del told me that it was a KG I Woods Hibernia and that it was either a 1723 or a 1724. Wow, that's a 105 years older than my oldest coin. Let me tell you, that made that 14 hour drive worth it.

Everything else in the photo was dug by Alec. He started out with a small button and rosette. He followed that with a cut copper that we haven't been able to ID yet. A little bit later, Trooper Bri calls us over and said he has a decent signal and wanted one of us to dig it. What a cool thing for him to do. (THANKS BRI !!). Alec goes ahead and digs his plug and pulls out a real cool 1600s buckle. Awesome find. Most of the buckles we dig in Illinois come from Walmart! At the next hole, Alec pulled a another copper, only this one had absolutely no detail on it. But it's still a colonial copper. Very Cool.

My only regret is that we didn't have more time to hunt with the guys. We couldn't have found a better bunch of guys to hunt with.
They sincerely were more concerned about us finding good stuff than themselves. Thanks Guys.

Dan, thank you for setting this up. We had a blast and we'll never forget the experience.
Drew & Brian, It was great meeting and hunting with you guys. We really hope we can do it again sometime.

Lodge Scent
04-02-2016, 12:31 PM
So.....on your first try, you manage to find a copper that has eluded me for 8 years :envious: Looks like you guys had a great hunt Don. Congrats on those coppers! Yeah, I hate to admit it but those CT boys are alright ;)

MIKE54
04-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks for visiting our state. Out here Dan is the man when it comes to cellar holes. Looks like you had fun!

Digger_O'Dell
04-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you had an awesome time! Congrats on the copper. Wish I was detecting back when I was working a lot in the Eastern states.

del
04-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Don . it was a real treat to meet you and Al , after all this time to finally put faces with the names made this a great experience and I'm very happy that at least one of these sites produced some goodies. Al's Buckle is here on this link http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=45189&title=double-loop-sub-rectangular-buckle&cat=176 and is listed to be from the dates of 1600 to 1720 , i can't believe two of these were found at that site . you boys are welcome back anytime !!

P.s the "new" oldest coin in your signature looks awesome Don

aloldstuff
04-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Very nice post. It is so nice that detectorists can get together from wherever and have a hunt. I truly wish I could have made this hunt so that I could have met you and Al. Huge congrats on taking some 1600 - 1700 items back to Illinois......:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
04-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Hey, How is Alec's foot? He was awesome at that last hole....sits on a rock, tries to hunt on a bad leg for a few minutes, then...COPPER!!! That is a wonderful thing, you and your son sharing all that quality time. You should be very proud!
I hope he had a nice birthday...Next time he'll drive out here and you can nap. :)

Mr. Digger
04-03-2016, 06:44 AM
Nice finds guys....I enjoyed the video on YouTube as well. Congrats!

The Rebel
04-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Those are some quality finds!