PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum, from Pennsylvania

Myownwings
08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
How I got started in Metal Detecting:
I was at a flyin in West Virginia in 2003. (I fly Powered Paragliders). During the afternoon it was too windy to fly and a pilot friend of mine from Virginia, said Heh, wanna go Metal Detecting for some Civil War stuff? I said sure. Well, after humping up and down mountains we came to a spot I would never, ever suspect was a site. He had researched the area and he was right on the money. He detected and I dug, then I detected and he dug. We both ended up with a bunch of bullets, buttons and buckles. He had a Whites XLT. When I got back home to PA, I did some research and purchased a DFX, Lesche digging tool, Jeff's book and a 120 mm pinpointer. I hit the school adjacent to my development and got a ton of clad using the stock programs. Well, I kept getting promoted at work and I was soon traveling around the US, Canada, and the UK at least 60% of the time. Metal Detecting was completely forgotten and my DFX sat for 6 years. My company got bought out by some investment bankers and I ended up with a extremely generous severance package, providing I agree to take no job in my field for one year. Well, that was great for a while but I soon was going crazy with all the free time. Then, around May, I stumbled across my old DFX...and thought, cool, I'll get back into that. I first had to buy a replacement battery pack (corrosion from leaving the AAA batteries in for 6 years), but it gave me time to do some research. I knew an old church and grove near my home and located the woman who could give me permission. She was great and I was off detecting once I got the new battery pack from Whites. Very first day I found a 1892 Silver Barber Quarter, and about 6 mercury dimes, a bunch of pennies and clad quarters, dimes and nickels. I don't believe I had ever seen a Barber Quarter or a Mercury dime. I thought they were absolutely beautiful and had so much more character than our current coinage. Then I decided I would hunt for even older stuff so I went to one of the oldest areas in my area.

I figured the road between two really old towns would be a good place so I started detecting along the sides of the road. Then some guy pulls up alongside me and asks me what I'm doing. I tell him I'm searching for old coins and he laughs and says I live in that house right over this hill and it was built in 1776. If you can find my wife's grandmother's wedding ring that she lost 35 years ago you can hunt my place anytime you want and I'll buy you a beer to boot. I said sure and followed him to his home. Well, I became obscessed with finding this ring, but the ground was full of iron and I soon realized just how tough this was going to be. I bought a 6x10dd and a bullesye 5.3 to help me. After six weeks of on and off hunting I found the ring. The entire family was over the top happy, and so was I. They were so happy they gave me a lead to a mansion built in 1802 and it was less than 1/3 mile from my house. They personally knew the owner and introduced me. Well, this fantastic new site has been nothing but a source of frustration for me. Tons of iron and very high emi problems. Anyway, that's my story and my current situation. I know I found a Cybersage program on another site and loaded into my DFX and it truly is quiet and a pleasure to use when I get to a new place. When I found out that he was a key member of this forum, I immediately joined.

del
08-05-2010, 04:39 AM
hello and great intro Myownwings , welcome to the forum . yes Jack is pretty special to us too ;) , seriously though he's a great guy with alot of technical know how on a few machines ) :yes:. i'm pretty sure i just answered on a post of yours on another forum about that old house. glad you made it here and best of luck on that 1802 stone house of yours.

Dan

randy
08-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Welcome from Chester County. We're not that far apart. I have a V3 and an E-Trac you could test drive sometime. If you know the DFX well, the V3 isn't that much of a leap up.

I thought they were absolutely beautiful and had so much more character than our current coinage.

I totally agree.

RobW
08-05-2010, 06:57 AM
A hearty welcome from the Pioneer Valley!

coinnut
08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Welcome form Massachusetts and glad you decided to take up the hobby again. The DFX is a great machine and I have found many fine coins with it. Hope you have some good hunts soon!!

Epi-hunter
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the forum! Great story... glad you found us! :)

NiagaraCountyNY
08-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Welcome from Western NY! Great bunch of folks here,Im sure you will enjoy this site.Look forward to your post.HH

Lowjiber
08-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice intro. :clapping: Welcome to our forum from southern Nevada.

You're right about Jack. (Don't tell him I said that. :rolleyes: )

tanacat
08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Welcome from Ky! I really enjoyed your story too. Looking forward to more :) and seeing what you dig there.

I bet you're there now on this beautiful Sat afternoon lol

Myownwings
08-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I finally broke the spell at this site. I found a 1857 large copper penny tonight. I had my Golden Retriever puppy with me so I stayed away from the house for fear he may give the owner a tongue lashing if he spotted her. The signal was in the 70's and I thought it was a crushed soda can, just like the one I had just unearthed. The coin was probably 3 or 4 deep. What a rush this was for me! This is the oldest coin I have ever found and it was in an area close to 150 yards from the mansion. You just never know I guess. It is funny how good a penny could make me feel. It's like a weight has been lifted.

coinnut
08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
It may just be a penny, but the thrill of finding it will last a long time. I still enjoy coins I found many years ago. Some of my finds are just special, better than others I guess. That one you will remember for sure. Congrats on getting the big copper :clapping:

NiagaraCountyNY
08-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I finally broke the spell at this site. I found a 1857 large copper penny tonight. I had my Golden Retriever puppy with me so I stayed away from the house for fear he may give the owner a tongue lashing if he spotted her. The signal was in the 70's and I thought it was a crushed soda can, just like the one I had just unearthed. The coin was probably 3 or 4 deep. What a rush this was for me! This is the oldest coin I have ever found and it was in an area close to 150 yards from the mansion. You just never know I guess. It is funny how good a penny could make me feel. It's like a weight has been lifted.
Nice!! I still smile thinking about my 1st largie..Heck I smile thinking about any of my finds tho Heheh.Now you are really gonna have the fever Hehe.Grats!

zrickkid
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck at the cool sites you mentioned. :envious:

tanacat
08-08-2010, 11:09 PM
:happydance01: Congrats! Doesn't it feel great! I dug an 1833 LC this spring at about 3 also- seems shallow for coins 150 -175 years old doesn't it? Was yours under a coniferous shrub by chance? My oldest coin as well and all time favorite dig... congrats again! Can we see a pic? What condition is it in?

Myownwings
08-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Tanacat, thanks. I found it alongside a row of grapevines. It took me several hours to clean it up. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow and post it. The date can only be seen from a particular angle.

tanacat
08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I soaked mine in olive oil to help remove corrosion. It looks brand new! I wish I had thought to take a before pic. It makes details show up so much better, like it's wet. How did you clean yours- peroxide and baking soda?

Myownwings
08-10-2010, 01:26 AM
To be honest, I put it through some serious stress testing. I first used soap and water and my fingers. Then I nuked it in the microwave in Hydrogen Peroxide. Then I put it in a Baking soda solution. Then, believing I hadn't quite abused it enough I soaked it in Olive oil, followed by a good teflon pad scrubbing. Then, for good measure I gave it a good shot of WD40. Of course, it is no longer talking to me.

tanacat
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't wait to see a pic of it lol Did you get a before shot too?

xzlr8n
08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Welcome from Upstate NY --- Owego!! Look forward to reading about and seeing your finds.

30U Plymouth
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the forum from the Show-Me state.

Myownwings
08-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Thank you. I took a day off from hunting. Too hot in Pennyslvania today...such a wimp I've become..and to think I was once a Marine Corps Sergeant in Vietnam...what up with that?...lol

pulltabsteve
08-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Great story! There are alot of very nice people on this forum. I've noticed that in general, most people in this hobby are nice. Looking forward to seeing what you dig up.

trout-hunter
08-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Welcome from Central , Mass. PA is my adopted state, made many great friends and fly fished Oil Creek for many years.