PDA

View Full Version : Oh Lee......LOOK

aloldstuff
04-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Lee and I got out today and we went over to the field that had given me all those CT coppers. We got to hunt for about 4-5 hours and it got real interesting towards the end of the hunt.

The 1st keeper for me would be what I think is a cufflink. Next up would be the 1907 IH (pay attention to the date). The sun was out for most of our hunt and overall a very nice day weather wise, then it turned on us. The wind came rushing in and the temps dropped significantly.

We had started out in the back field, with Lee getting some items that proved the field had activity very early on. After about 3 1/2 hours there I was itching for a button so I moved toward the front field by the road. I had gone all day without digging a shotgun shell until now. The next signal was a tombac button, shank not intact. Now Lee is up here in the same area and I get a 81 VDI and dig my hole and I noticed a silver rim in the dirt. I have gotten seated and a 1/2 reale out of this farm so I called over to Lee....."oh Lee". He is not but 10 ft away and now he is excited, we are both on our knees (somehow that doesn't sound right) staring at the silver rim. He says he sees one dime, I finally pick up the coin and its a merc.....a nice 1917 (pay attention to the date).

Next Lee is digging a very nice button, well part of one and then I get another great sounding signal. Again I dig the plug and its another "oh Lee". Lee comes over all excited and in my dirt pile is a copper. I pick it up and it looks great, even to this old blind guy. Lee does some rubbing and its a 1817 (now you know why I was saying to pay attention to the date) All three coins end with a 7 and the merc and LC are a century apart. Then Lee finds the second piece to his button, it was a two piece.

If anybody knows what the long triangle shaped thing is please chime in.

Overall a great day hunting with Lee. Two more coins for my signature.

Thanks for reading and Lee's finds will be the last picture.

del
04-06-2016, 05:11 PM
very nice Al , is the little item up on the first picture a watch winder ?? the long copper or brass item looks like a lightning rod top. congrats on the "7" coinage !! better play them numbers in the powerball !!

aloldstuff
04-06-2016, 05:33 PM
very nice Al , is the little item up on the first picture a watch winder ?? the long copper or brass item looks like a lightning rod top. congrats on the "7" coinage !! better play them numbers in the powerball !!

Thanks for the ID on the lightning rod tip. I was thinking watch winder also.

lee
04-07-2016, 07:34 AM
great day al, congrats on your coins and thanks for inviting me down to your neck of the woods i really enjoyed me self.
"both on our knees with people in cars watching us" sounds even worse i think ...lol.
after hunting that field i cant wait to get into the woods by the side of it,if you think about the spots where we found evidence of human activity it suggests just inside the tree line i think we will find more stuff culminating in a cellar hole somewhere in there and im guessing its never been hit.
i will keep an eye on my copper field for the yearly second turn of the soil and invite you down,number 76 copper out of there i think has your name on it mate.

MangoAve
04-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Lol... I thought with the title was an indication Lee was up to his old antics. :lol: The copper is in good shape. Guess the 1817s and 1818s were better planchettes cuz a '22 can look like crap. Is the piece next to the 'watch winder" a button or a wizzer? Looks like there is a design between the holes.
Lee's lower left blob almost looks like a really really bad ox shoe, but I'm sure its just scrap lead.

aloldstuff
04-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Lol... I thought with the title was an indication Lee was up to his old antics. :lol: The copper is in good shape. Guess the 1817s and 1818s were better planchettes cuz a '22 can look like crap. Is the piece next to the 'watch winder" a button or a wizzer? Looks like there is a design between the holes.
Lee's lower left blob almost looks like a really really bad ox shoe, but I'm sure its just scrap lead.

Jim,

That wizzer looking thing is strange. I have dug one before, the holes do not go thru, yet each side is like that. I also noticed some sort of design between the holes but cannot make it out.

Digger_O'Dell
04-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Some great finds there, I like the 7 grouping!

driftwood1963
04-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Sweet!

ewcoinhunter
04-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Very cool digs! Congrats!!

wisconsin digger
04-09-2016, 07:14 AM
great finds and congrats on the "7" trifecta. WD