PDA

View Full Version : Ct. Copper

del
04-06-2016, 06:17 PM
That friday (March 25th) before Digger Don and Al had the group hunt i had scouted a couple of nearby possible sites close to our scheduled 6 cellar sites. Just in case we didn't do to well , since i never been to any of these sites i didn't know how badly they might have been hit .Anyways one of the nearby sites each coughed up a copper for me even though they were both pretty bare of targets .:yes: the first site gave me a very toasty king george II right up against a tree , this coin was so bad i didn't even try to clean it . the other site i only detected for about 10 minutes before getting a large button like signal not even 10 feet from the cellar . it was a badly shaped Ct. copper , so i took the scratch pen to it and was able to attribute the variety at least . This coin was very very rough and like i said i couldn't even tell what year it was let alone the variety.

a 1788 miller 9-E

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/connecticut_coppers/1788_ct_coppers/1788_ct_miller_09_E.htm

This is why i wasn't too upset when i got skunked Saturday with Don , Al , Tom and Drew and Brian !:lol:

Digger Don
04-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Awesome coins Dan.:congrats:
I appreciate the New England posts a lot more after being there.:detecting:

aloldstuff
04-06-2016, 07:20 PM
A couple more coppers to add to the collection. Isn't it a shame when they are so far gone...:crying02:. It just amazes me the ability you have to ID these coins even in the worse of shape...:thumbsup02:

del
04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Awesome coins Dan.:congrats:
I appreciate the New England posts a lot more after being there.:detecting:

Thanks Don , it was great to share the experience of this type of detecting with you three and a lot of fun to watch you boys unearth some old coppers and relics for the first time. It was very rewarding Don !!

A couple more coppers to add to the collection. Isn't it a shame when they are so far gone...:crying02:. It just amazes me the ability you have to ID these coins even in the worse of shape...:thumbsup02:

Al , this was an "88 with very low varieties to choose from so it wasn't that bad to find it . i have been getting coppers this year but unfortunately the ones on the "toasty" side . Thanks

Lodge Scent
04-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Nice find on a rare variety Dan. Good work on the ID. I picked up a scratch pencil. Hopefully I will be able to ID a few of my toasted coppers.

MangoAve
04-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Nice find, Dan. I'm prob pretty low for copper #'s this year. Not sure why the places aren't coughing up as much lately.

OxShoeDrew
04-08-2016, 03:32 AM
Nice job on the ID Dan. I've tried a few coins with tracing paper and a regular pencil...I was surprised what was on an otherwise blank coin.

The Rebel
04-09-2016, 08:24 PM
WTG on the CT Dan!