PDA

View Full Version : 2 tone ferrous

hockeyguy
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
This is all the rage and I think I need to know more about it. Does this turn your machine into a simple 2 tone only? Whereas iron and junk read out as garbage and probable coins ring out as good? then you look at the fe/co #'s to identify if it is worth a dig? If someone has insight I think I'd like to try it on MY SE. Anyone know how to set it up?

HH

Aaron

coinnut
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey, two tone ferrous splits your FE screen at the 17 mark. Any target that is below 17 (01-17 FE) is a high tone and any target higher than 17 (18-35 FE is a low grunt.) The CO values do not matter, it is split between high and low tones by the FE lines. The 12 FE line is where technically all non ferrous targets are, and if you don't have any discrimination pattern, pull tabs, coins, lead, foil, etc, will all sound a high pitch. All iron will grunt because it's FE numbers are in the 34-35 range. So split your screen about center from top to bottom and that is how it works. If you have a discrimination pattern, then those targets will null as usual regardless of where they are located. I think I said that right lol

hockeyguy
08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
thanks george,

So run my screen (iron mask) at what about 20? Then set my discrim to eliminate certin areas or leave open? Is this how I achieve the results? have you tried this?

NiagaraCountyNY
08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Yes you basically nailed it.I run 2 tone-All Metal-Ferrous sounds.Any low tone is Iron.Everything else will have a High tone .I ran my SE in All metal ferrous sounds Multi tone always.I never gave the Two tone a try on the SE.Let us Know how u like it.HH

hockeyguy
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
dont i ioose depth by runng IM at 20? Should I crank up the sensitivity?

coinnut
08-05-2010, 08:18 PM
dont i ioose depth by runng IM at 20? Should I crank up the sensitivity?

You should always crank up the sensitivity lol Just keep it stable ;) I run my disc from around FE 31-35. This knocks out most iron. So the knocked out iron will null, any targets from FE18-30 will grunt, and any targets from FE01-17 will be a high pitch. I try and use as little discrimination as possible since nulling is not the best answer for finding things. But no matter what pattern you use, if a target comes in and sounds good, DIG IT, no matter what the numbers are. Let's say you have an Indian head penny and a bunch of nails. And let's say they are all around and maybe touching the penny. The penny should come in on the 12 FE line (at about 34 CO) and the nails should read FE 34 or 35 (with a CO of 45 or 46). But together the FE reading may be 18 or 19 instead of 12. This 18 or 19 reading would fall under the grunt (low)tone. But often you may catch a glimpse of the penny mostly alone and it will give a high pitch. So even if the numbers ar FE 18 or 19, if it sounds good dig it!! This is why most people have one screen set up with no discrimination. So they can see and hear every target with little mixing of signals. This is my ferrous settings, but if you go conductive sounds you will have to discriminate!!! Angel started a E Trac post showing his settings. Study them and try and see the logic behind them.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2131.msg21916;topicseen#new

Epi-hunter
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Question George. So at a cellar hole, I know that you would want to dig all high tones regardless of the numbers. But when you're at a park using that setup, and you get a high tone, do you look at the numbers? Seems you would dig a lot of trash that way.

NiagaraCountyNY
08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Id really suggest A wide open screen for this set up. The whole point of the 2 tone is to speed up the signal .Any nulling at all will cause a slight delay.This is what I have found ,maybe its just me.There has been alot of discussion on this on another forum and most agree the fastest signal response comes with a wide open screen.Why null out an area if its just gonna be a low grunt anyways?By listening to the low tone instead of nulling we dont leave as much of a chance for iron masking a good target the way I understand it.Otherwise we would just run a normal discrim pattern and trust the nulls right??

hockeyguy
08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I think I got it but isn't the Iron Mask set at say 20 a form of discrimination? Wide open to me means no IM. Am I confused here?

coinnut
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Question George. So at a cellar hole, I know that you would want to dig all high tones regardless of the numbers. But when you're at a park using that setup, and you get a high tone, do you look at the numbers? Seems you would dig a lot of trash that way.

Exactly. In a park you would have to look at the numbers. In a cellar hole each target is possibly more valuable of a relic, so numbers are just a quick reference. You would dig any high tone regardless.

Id really suggest A wide open screen for this set up. The whole point of the 2 tone is to speed up the signal .Any nulling at all will cause a slight delay.This is what I have found ,maybe its just me.There has been alot of discussion on this on another forum and most agree the fastest signal response comes with a wide open screen.Why null out an area if its just gonna be a low grunt anyways?By listening to the low tone instead of nulling we dont leave as much of a chance for iron masking a good target the way I understand it.Otherwise we would just run a normal discrim pattern and trust the nulls right??

You could run a disc pattern and trust the signal thru the null. That is one way. It works but it has some lag time. All metal is a good option because the response time is fast. Less chance of blending good and bad signals.The drawback for new people is that you have to listen to a machine gun of low iron grunts. If you have never heard all metal around a cellar hole, you are in for a shock lol It sounds like thousands of nails :yes: I like to run a small coil and all metal (no iron mask)

I think I got it but isn't the Iron Mask set at say 20 a form of discrimination? Wide open to me means no IM. Am I confused here?

Yes iron mask set at 20 will discriminate (null) those targets, but some good targets mixed with them will come through as a high pitch. That's the beauty of the E Trac while discriminating iron. But the reaction time is slow and that forces you to swing real slow lol Wide open means all metal to me too thumbsup01 You can chose between a slower reaction time with discrimination, or a fast reaction time in all metal, but you hear it ALL!

hockeyguy
08-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Currently I usually run at IM 22, this lets the good thru and the iron not so much. i know when I ran hi sensitivity on wide open, iron sounded good many times. Maybe I'll try moving it down and putting fast on to speed up the process. thanks

hockeyguy
08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
After thinking about this, there cant be much difference between IM 22 and IM 20 can there? I must be running very clos to two tone already...no?

coinnut
08-06-2010, 10:40 AM
After thinking about this, there cant be much difference between IM 22 and IM 20 can there? I must be running very clos to two tone already...no?

I'm not sure I'm getting what you mean. Two tone just assigns a certain tone to a target by splitting the screen up in sections. A discriminated target (Like IM 20 or 22) is a NO tone. It's a null. So where you set the discrimination, has no bearing on the number of tones. Wheather you run 2, 4, or multi tones, any target you blacken out will null. THe only way to be in two tone is to put it in that setting, regardless of what pattern you have. Hope this is what you are asking about Aaron.

hockeyguy
08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah George..put simply, how do I set up the SE for 2 tone operation? The major adjustment is the iron mask?

Epi-hunter
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
hockeyguy, the IM setting is a discrimination setting, not a tone setting. When George said split your screen about center from top to bottom he wasn't referring to the IM screen; I think he was just verbalizing a visual way of thinking of the dividing line between the ferrous numbers and how they relate to the two tones (right George?)

Also the E-Trac isn't set up the same as the SE in this instance.

Technically you can't exactly replicate 2-tone Ferrous on an SE. On an E-Trac there is a setting that you can adjust, to 2 tones (versus 4 tones or multi tones). Then you put the 'Sounds' setting on Ferrous. What George is saying is that this setting is calibrated at FE value of 17 so that anything 17 or below will come in as a high tone, and anything higher than 17 will be a low 'grunt'. On an E-Trac. The FE numbers on an SE aren't calibrated the same as on an E-Trac.

Also, on the SE there is no setting like on the E-Trac to adjust it specifically to 2 tones. You have to use the variability adjustment in your settings and set it to a low value so there is not a lot of variation of tone from target to target. And set your 'Sounds' adjustment to ferrous (so the tone is reliant on the FE number, not the CO number). Still, it will not exactly replicate 2-tone ferrous sounds on an E-Trac.

You really don't want much discrimination if any for this setup. IM all the way, or almost all the way, to the left.

hockeyguy
08-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Ah ha! thanks EPI

coinnut
08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
rofl Now I know why we weren't clicking. I assumed the SE had tone settings. Now it all makes sense. Thanks Angie :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:... lol Love that cheesy cheerleader

NiagaraCountyNY
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Well put Epi !! The way I ran my SE was ALL metal(wide open screen/No discrim) ferrous sounds.You will get close too the same results we get using 2 tone /ferrous sounds on the E-Trac.Also with the SE you can set it up in ferrous sounds so it almost sounds identical to the conductive sound set up.If you are willing to listen to the low tone grunt from all the iron u wont suffer the delay from discrimination.Try it you may like it :) It was the only way I would use my SE after I did.HH