PDA

View Full Version : 1796 liberty cap

aloldstuff
04-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Had today off so off to the field I went. This field is still giving up the goods.

I started off with a button, then the cut copper. I have no idea of what it is so will the forum pool of knowledge please chime in.

I then got the tombac and next was the round ball. The Liberty Cap is my oldest US coin :cheering: and what a thrill seeing that in the pile of dirt. I was able to see the cap in the field so I couldn't wait to get home to see if I could get a date.

Got a few more buttons and one I have never seen before. It will have its own pictures.

Also got a religious medal and a piece of the largest crotal bell I have ever held...sure do wish it was whole. Somewhere in the hunt I also managed another musket ball.

I think that about covers the hunt.

Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

Full Metal Digger
04-08-2016, 02:00 PM
great finds! Weird how they cut that coin and it looks like they were going to cut it again. The religious medallion is from a rosary and that button looks like one of those Zouves buttons to me. Congrats and HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
04-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Nice capped! Well done on the other relics too. GL on the positive ID on the cut coin.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-08-2016, 07:14 PM
very nice lib cap!

Lodge Scent
04-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Congrats on the Liberty Cap and other goodies Al. Very nice finds. I'm thinking the cut copper might be a CT.

Digger Don
04-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Congrats on the liberty cap. Awesome Find!!
If anyone can Id that cut coin, I bet they're a member of this forum.
Good Luck

OxShoeDrew
04-09-2016, 05:19 AM
Is the top pic of the cut copper an upside down bust? I think I see N I A in the second one. What do you see Jeff? Very nice finds Al! :clapping:

The Rebel
04-09-2016, 08:19 PM
WTG on the Liberty Cap & other goodies!

del
04-11-2016, 12:29 AM
Al , I see that the cut coin looks upside down on the first picture . also looks like the word REX on the left side . i would say a left facing bust of George II .

Congrats on the liberty cap by the way , a coin that still eludes me :bangahead02:

aloldstuff
04-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Al , I see that the cut coin looks upside down on the first picture . also looks like the word REX on the left side . i would say a left facing bust of George II .

Congrats on the liberty cap by the way , a coin that still eludes me :bangahead02:

Thanks for looking at it. Sort of embarrassing that I put up an upside down photo....:embarrassed:. When RobW got his 1795 liberty cap a few years ago I thought that I would never dig one. With your vast coin collection this coin can't elude you for much longer.:thumbsup01: