PDA

View Full Version : British dime?

Robbie
04-10-2016, 01:14 PM
I found this today and was wondering if anyone can verify that it is a British dime. It`s very worn , but I can see that it`s a lady`s head facing left and I can see Britain above her head. On the back I see a clover like vine.

Digger_O'Dell
04-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Too Small Of A Pic To See Any Detail

Robbie
04-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Here`s more shots, hope this helps.

Digger_O'Dell
04-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow, that's really worn and beat up. Can't read the writing on it. Latin maybe? If so, could be a very old English coin. That one may be impossible to ID.

fyrffytr1
04-10-2016, 09:59 PM
I think it may be a reale. In one of your first picture I think I see a bust and the letters "RATIA". That would be part of DEI.GRATIA as seen on this coin.

del
04-10-2016, 10:46 PM
I think it may be a reale. In one of your first picture I think I see a bust and the letters "RATIA". That would be part of DEI.GRATIA as seen on this coin.

seeing how the coin is "paper thin" , fyrffytr is most likely right . it being just a bit smaller than a modern dime would make it a half real Robbie .

lee
04-11-2016, 03:37 AM
if its English it would be a sixpence but im going with a reale too

Robbie
04-11-2016, 05:50 AM
This is what I thought it was , but the size has me stumped.

Full Metal Digger
04-11-2016, 10:07 AM
I also think it is a half real. Spanish silver baby!

Tony Two-Cent
04-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Given Robbie's description of the coin's features, I would say it's more likely a British threepence coin. The lettering looks too small for a Spanish half real. The old threepence coins are slightly smaller than a US dime.

Robbie
04-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Given Robbie's description of the coin's features, I would say it's more likely a British threepence coin. The lettering looks too small for a Spanish half real. The old threepence coins are slightly smaller than a US dime.

Tony, I think your close, but the hair is more in a bush towards the top right, more so than this coin.

The Rebel
04-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Let's get some better close ups, it's too far away to clearly see.

fyrffytr1
04-11-2016, 09:06 PM
I tried working on the picture that I see the letters in. If it is part of DEI.GRATIA then the coin should be rotated so that lettering is between the 3 and 5 o'clock orientation. Then the top of the head would be to the left of the hole in the coin. Also, the reale I posted in my reply above is not necessarily the one pictured by Robbie. I just used it to show the lettering I saw on his coin.
I also added a couple pictures of the only half reale I have ever found. The first picture shows it in the same position as Robbies and the second picture shows it in the upright position.
On a side note, I am amazed at the pictures my phone takes. It is the reason I got it.

Robbie
04-12-2016, 06:02 AM
I tried working on the picture that I see the letters in. If it is part of DEI.GRATIA then the coin should be rotated so that lettering is between the 3 and 5 o'clock orientation. Then the top of the head would be to the left of the hole in the coin. Also, the reale I posted in my reply above is not necessarily the one pictured by Robbie. I just used it to show the lettering I saw on his coin.
I also added a couple pictures of the only half reale I have ever found. The first picture shows it in the same position as Robbies and the second picture shows it in the upright position.
On a side note, I am amazed at the pictures my phone takes. It is the reason I got it.
Mystery solved. Great job. Thank you.