PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit 8 reale spill + button filled weekend

RIdirtdigger
04-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Early last week I got a message from a fellow detectorist named Brendan who lives in Mass, saying he had a good spot up in his neck of the woods and was wondering if I wanted to hit it with him. Having hunted with him once before last summer, I was more than happy to accept the invitation. The place didn't really produce but I did score a 1939 Mercury dime at a nearby church he had permission to. That was on Wednesday after school. Friday after class I headed out to a spot I thought there was a cellar hole. I get there and after searching couldn't find one. Knowing nobody would take the time to clear out this area and make stone walls, I decided to start swinging and hopefully find some kind of cabin site. I find an area near two rock piles that has the highest concentration of iron. Right next to a tree I get a high tone. I thought it was gonna be an ox knob or something but I pull out a huge pewter disk. I instantly recognize it as a counterfeit 8 reale based on the size. I then proceed to pull out two more each five feet away from the next! All are dated 1766 and look like they never saw a day in ciruculation. My guess is they were made here at this site and that a counterfeiter inhabited this cabin site. All of the other stuff I found was basically within 100 or so feet of the reale spill, some targets being 1-2 feet from each other. There is no doubt in my mind this was virgin site. The amount of targets in such a small area cast away all doubts. All of the relics are mostly in the 1760-1780 range which leads me to believe this site didn't last very long. Only item found outside this date range was my first ever blow hole button. I never did find a well which is puzzling but also probably explains why this site was never hit before. There is a natural spring close by so that could be the reason. Overall great site. Saturday I met up with Brendan again but this time took him to a patch of woods with over 10 cellar holes that I've done pretty well at in the past. We hiked out butts off and must have hit close to 10 sites. I found 23 buttons a personal best for me, and every single site produced targets, something that doesn't happen very often. Also scored the smallest thimble I've ever seen and my first ever shoe buckle chape with only one spike. No coins though. Overall great day and Brendan found around 10 buttons as well. Sunday I did my usual weekend hunt with Jarrod. I had high hopes for the sites but they ended up being disappointing. First site was a poor site, and quite odd as the celar hole was built nearly at the edge of a cliff/ledge. Scored a dandy and two matching tombacs there. 2nd site was also a dud but gave up two buttons. The third site which I had really high hopes for turned out to be hammered. I scored a cuff link and one button. Jarrod didn't find anything worth mentioning sadly. Some days are frustrating like that. I then headed over to CT by myself hit one site I had been wanting to hit for several weeks now. Well I ended up hitting 5 sites as I kept on running into them on both my walk in and out lol. They were all hit pretty hard but still were filled with buttons as that was basically all I dug out of them. Overall on the day I dug 18. Not bad. I'm satisfied with the weekend, probably never gonna find an 8 reale spill again, counterfeit or not. HH

RIdirtdigger
04-12-2016, 03:25 PM
I seem to be having some trouble uploading photos. Still trying to figure out the issue

RIdirtdigger
04-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Here are the photos

RIdirtdigger
04-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Here's some more

aloldstuff
04-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Great pile of buttons :thumbsup02: and that thimble is the smallest one I have ever seen also. You're probably right about the reale site as being that of a counterfeiter.

del
04-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Congrats on the pewter counterfeits Jim and great pictures , Connecticut and Rhode Island were hot spots for counterfeiting coins back in colonial days . A crime that was punishable with branding , ear cropping , or worse like hanging but that was pretty rare.

Jim just an observation , the pewter counterfeits look a bit worse for wear ... did you keep them moist in a ziploc baggy with dirt until you got them home ?? Believe it or not these counterfeits are very collectable to some our very own fsa46 (Frank) found an 11 , 8 real cache of pewter coins and at least one gentleman who collected and researched them wanted to purchase these from him .

Dan

RIdirtdigger
04-13-2016, 06:55 AM
Congrats on the pewter counterfeits Jim and great pictures , Connecticut and Rhode Island were hot spots for counterfeiting coins back in colonial days . A crime that was punishable with branding , ear cropping , or worse like hanging but that was pretty rare.

Jim just an observation , the pewter counterfeits look a bit worse for wear ... did you keep them moist in a ziploc baggy with dirt until you got them home ?? Believe it or not these counterfeits are very collectable to some our very own fsa46 (Frank) found an 11 , 8 real cache of pewter coins and at least one gentleman who collected and researched them wanted to purchase these from him .

Dan
Thanks Dan. Sadly the coins already had a small "pit" on each of them where the surface details had rotted away revealing the pure pewter below. I noticed this as I was extracting them from the ground. I'm not sure why each coin was like that. Other than that, I had them in dirt like you said until I got home.

RIdirtdigger
04-13-2016, 06:57 AM
It's strange cause all of the "pitting" is mostly on the obverse as the reverse sides seem to be in better shape, corrioson wise

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2016, 04:13 PM
What a pocket spill!!:shocked03: That is one for the books....you're not going to soon forget an 8 reales spill....I've never found an 8...real or counterfeit. Huge congrats Jim! Keep it up!

Digger_O'Dell
04-13-2016, 06:27 PM
What an amazing find, not to mention the rest! Mark that day in the calendar for sure!

Bucknut
04-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Killer bunch of hunts! Those counterfeit 8 Reales are really cool! Maybe that site did not last too long because the guy got caught counterfeiting?

BTV Digger
04-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the nice finds! Always interesting to see some of the original stuff posted here. Certainly knew about counterfeit coppers, never counterfeit Reales! Seems that those coins would've only been good for a year or so before the pewter started flaking/chipping and the tom-foolery would end.

John