PDA

View Full Version : 2-Tone Ferrous And Multi-Tone Conduct Modes

angellionel
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Since we are seeing an increased interest and questions on the hunting modes available when using the E-Trac - 2-tone Ferrous and Multi-Tone Conduct - I figured that we should have a thread were we can cover all aspects of each of those two modes, discussing what has worked well at certain areas, reviewing which additional settings may yield best results, which mode would be best suited for meadows, parks, cellar holes, etc.

Please keep in mind that this thread is not to show which mode is best, since both offer the user excellent opportunities for making desirable finds. The intent is to learn and absorb information from those who have a great deal of experience and success using either of those modes. Ideally, if we can become proficient with both modes, we stand a greater chance of walking away from our hunting sites with several more good finds in our pouch.

Personally, I have had a preference for the Multi-Tone Conduct mode, and have used it almost exclusively when detecting parks and town commons. I also have a program with the 2-Tone Ferrous mode saved for testing purposes. I'm not yet sure if the settings accompanying the 2-Tone Ferrous mode are the best, but hopefully I can pick up some tips from those who have had a good deal of experience using that mode.

The following images show which settings I am currently using when detecting with the Multi-Tone Conduct mode, and the settings I have set up with the 2-Tone Ferrous mode when testing both modes on targets that have not been dug up. The discrimination patterns for each are different as well.

Just a note - the third column list the default E-Trac settings, and the fourth column list my on settings.

http://www.angellionel.com/misc/etrac_conduct2.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/misc/etrac_ferrous2.jpg

Let's keep the thread alive (hopefully), sharing tips, field experience, asking questions, while learning from each other.

Jimmy4
08-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi all, I've had my e-trac fror about a month and have been prowling the sites picking up great tidbits and tips (thanks!).
I've found the tone related ones quite interesting, coming from an MXT I really like the ability to have these options.
My first experience with the 2-tone ferrous really impressed me...I went to the usual hunted to death school, and first hit was a wheat at about 7, shortly after found a 1964 Half dollar!
I want to do more experimenting with settings (was in relic, with auto sensitivity +2), but that sure was a confidence boost!

jimmy4

coinnut
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey Jimmy4, There are a couple of different ways to run the E Trac and after some experiences with each one, you will find a place for them. I prefer Ferrous 2 tone for an iron laiden cellar hole, but Conductive Multi tone for a park setting. Sometimes in Ferrous sounds I go with an open (no disc screen) and other times I just use FE 31-35 blackened out. In conductive, I use much more discrimination.

Jason in Enid
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
The only time I like the ferrous 2-tone is hunting farm fields. But those are usually so barren, I dig the irons hoping for a meteorite.

All my in-town stuff I use the conductive multi.

Hey Angel, did you cut the middle out of your cover? I may have to try that. That plastic can make it a lot harder to see the screen at times.

angellionel
09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
The only time I like the ferrous 2-tone is hunting farm fields. But those are usually so barren, I dig the irons hoping for a meteorite.

All my in-town stuff I use the conductive multi.

Hey Angel, did you cut the middle out of your cover? I may have to try that. That plastic can make it a lot harder to see the screen at times.

No, the middle cover is still there. It's just stretched tightly over the display. It was like that when I acquired the E-Trac from another detectorist on a trade. :yes:

coinnut
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
It was like that when I acquired the E-Trac from another detectorist on a trade. :yes:

Someone gave up that silver magnet?? rofl rofl Man I hope they don't read this forum, cause if that was my machine I would feel like this :blackeye: and then this :crying02: I'll trade you :embarrassed:

angellionel
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Someone gave up that silver magnet?? rofl rofl Man I hope they don't read this forum, cause if that was my machine I would feel like this :blackeye: and then this :crying02: I'll trade you :embarrassed:

Yeah, I know. :cheesysmile: The machine has been good to me. :smitten:

Myownwings
09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Angel
How would you compare the E-Trac to the DFX? I had to ask.

angellionel
09-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Angel
How would you compare the E-Trac to the DFX? I had to ask.

They are totally different machines, with individual strengths and weaknesses. But in general, I would turn to the DFX to work sport fields when seeking gold rings, or when I want to work the area quickly, whereas the E-Trac is what I would unhesitatingly turn to to work old sites where the targets are very deep or mixed in with trash. From my own experience in using both machines, the E-Trac does a better job there.

Epi-hunter
11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
This is an old thread that Angel started over a year ago, but lately I have been hearing more about two-tone ferrous with the E-Trac from people who like to use it at parks.

I can understand why people like to use TTF in fields or cellar holes, but is anyone here using it in parks or other public areas with a lot of trash? I have heard from a few people lately who swear by it in these areas, and in fact say that it saves a ton of time (while others who use conductive mode are evaluating a target, trying to decide whether it's iron falsing/whether to dig, it supposedly allows for more time efficiency and more overall digs and thereby more chance of finding desirable targets).

I'm just having trouble with the concept that TTF (which cuts off at Fe 17, I believe) would be more efficient on the E-Trac when the Fe scale has been set to 12 for desirable non-ferrous targets. That would mean virtually digging everything, trash and all; how is that efficient?

If someone who uses this in such areas can enlighten me, it would be great to understand this. There are actually quite a few people who swear by this setting in public parks and other public settings, so there must be something to it, but I just don't get it. :thinkingabout: