PDA

View Full Version : 25 Minutes this morning

RobW
08-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I am about to leave for vacation, which means 2 weekends without hunting and I've found a few spots that are yielding some nice old coins, so I have been a bit let down that I can't go hunt. I don't normally hunt during the week due to lack of time. This morning I awoke a bit early and figured I had about an hour to hunt, so I got ready, went down stairs only to find my dog had got sick all over the kitchen floor, so had to clean that and time kept lapsing, almost decided not to go, but decided that I put my mind to it so I'm going. Since I only had a VERY short time I hit a place about 4 miles from my house that has yielded some very old coins. Didn't turn anything up and decided to work my way back to my car over ground that I had hit on many, many occassions.I got a solid hit. Dug down and out pops this old copper. When it first came up, I thought it was a large cent, but it is not as big. I took it home and cleaned it up, but it is so worn that there are no details except the bottom line of a RIGHT facing bust. I am thinking maybe a 1790's half penny but can't decide. It's a very pointed bust (neck) line that extends almost to the edge. The back is completely gone. No clues as far a date either. I'm going to try to post a pic, but I have been unsuccessful at that.

RobW
08-06-2010, 07:43 AM
I must have done something to the previous pic while messing with it trying to post it, didn't look right, looks like I fliped it inside out. this one is right

NiagaraCountyNY
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Thats an old copper for sure..What type Im not sure.Someone here will prob have an Idea .Nice find.Cant take the detector on vacation with ya huh?.HH

RobW
08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
No, me and my young child going to see family. Which really sucks b/c my dad said I should bring it with me b/c he has a co-worker who owns a large farm that is right in the middle of the Battle of Murfreesboro, TN that gave us permission to hunt on. But my wife isn't coming on this trip and I gotta take care of the young one and keep her entertained while everyone is at work.

NiagaraCountyNY
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Ahh thats too bad..That farm sounds like a DREAM hunt! How small is the child?? I had a carrier i could strap my son onto my back or stomach :) If they can walk they might really enjoy helping Daddy dig :) .have a Nice Trip...HH

Epi-hunter
08-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Nice old copper, congrats!

Maybe you can sneak a couple of hours at that farm during the evening before it gets dark.

coinnut
08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd bring it just in case someone let's you get off of babysitting duty. You never know. As for the coin, it's hard to tell if it's a George III Half penny. If it were, it would have to be an earlier one. But I can't tell from the picture if the bottom of the bust matches. If you want to try some photo tricks, try setting a light across the coin so that you can see some more contrast. When that is positioned right, then just hold a magnifier above the coin, or make some kind of stack to hole the magnifier at the right height, and then take a picture through it. It will act as a macro lense and maybe get you some more detail and a clearer picture. It's a nice find for sure. :beerbuddy:

zrickkid
08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Its still an old copper and i would be satisfied with it. Nice job!

angellionel
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Nice old one, Rob!