PDA

View Full Version : Last couple hunts showing promise!

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Hi all,
I got out Wednesday morning for a bit at the park across from the church I hunted out, but an area that butts up to the old cemetary
Working along the fence area it was mostly trash and a couple clad but I suddenly got a deep 12-45/46 signal. Hoping it was a quarter I ended up almost a foot deep when I pulled out a twisted piece of stamped brass. No idea until I rechecked the hole and found a small gear. Aha, must be parts from an old clock! Pictured is the clock frame after straightening. That and a partial ingot of lead was about it.

Friday I had about an hour before work so I stopped at the old park that used to be the city zoo. I know it's been pounded to death but changed my strategy to try finding areas that were well traveled long ago but off the beaten path now. This strategy has been paying off since the first signal I got was a 12-38 at about 5 inches. I was guessing a wheatie but was rewarded with a 1906 indian in really good shape! I soon found an odd decorative lead piece about a foot down, what looks to be an old pin, and a 9mm bullet from the hood. The area is a bit tough as it has quite a few copper nails with square copper washers on them that look a lot like a coin. Lastly on the way back towards the car maybe 6 feet from the first IH, I got one last good signal and sure enough, another Indian-this time a 1907.

Fire Fighter 43
04-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the Indians Chris. You are braver than I am for hunting that park, it is in the middle of the hood. I've wanted to detect there since the late 80's when I first moved to the area. An old timer Detectorist told me it was one of the only good parks left to hunt. I just could not get up the nerve to do it. Be careful down there.

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Thanks! The park has been cleaned up a lot. I see quite a lot of policing in the area, and a couple trips ago even had a motorcycle cop riding the pathways. Nicer area now without the rifraff. Still won't go there at night though!

aloldstuff
04-23-2016, 04:43 AM
Two nice IH's. Parks in a location like that are best done in the early AM when hopefully all the bad guys are sleeping. RobW and myself do a park in a location like that and we have not had a problem but we are always watching each other, just in case.

groundhog53946
04-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Nice job on the Indians!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk