PDA

View Full Version : Diggen with Daddy Digger in Central Illinois / A Barber Kind of Day!

Digger Don
04-23-2016, 11:44 PM
I met up with Daddy Digger this morning at a park in central Illinois. It didn't take us long to realize that the park has been pounded to death. We were finding nothing. After a while, Dave walked across the street and got us permission at an 1880s home. After deciding which section we were each going to detect, we started the hunt. I got my first good signal about 15 minutes in, I dug a decent 12-46 at about 6" and popped out a 1908-O Barber quarter. Awesome, only my second one this year. After a few more passes across the lawn, I got another decent signal. I dug my plug and out pops another Barber quarter, an 1895 this time. 2 Barbers from one yard, Wow. I finished my side of the yard and decided to hit it some more from different angles. I got a deep iffy one way high tone and when I got down to it, there it was, number 3. a 1908-D Barber quarter, What an awesome yard. You need to check out Dave's post. It was even better for him!!

The second house we hit was two doors down from the first. Dave was first on the board with silver. I dug one silver coin at this house, another quarter.This time a 1964 Washington. This is were I made my fatal mistake. I told Dave that if I didn't find another coin all day (which I didn't) that I was going home happy. (which I did)

After lunch we got a yes at house that had been detected a couple of times before. I didn't get any coins, but I did dig an
Adamant Suit watch Fob at 11 inches. The Fobs were made from 1900 to 1909. We did a couple more houses before we called it a day, at one of them, I dug a spoon bowl with " Indianapolis" engraved across the bowl. I thought it was aluminum, but when Dave saw it he said it was definitely silver. After wiping it off better, I saw it was stamped Sterling.

I had a great time hunting with Dave again. It's always a pleasure watching him work his e-trac.
It was a good day with a good friend digging good finds in good weather!!

I didn't find any more coins after those quarters but I did go home Happy!!

Digger_O'Dell
04-24-2016, 12:38 AM
:wow: Huge congrats on those Barbers! Still waiting on my first here. That spoon is mighty fancy, and the fob is a really cool find! Nicely done. :cheering:

aloldstuff
04-24-2016, 05:19 AM
Some nice quarters. That fob is fantastic, is the second picture an example of one as I see it is hanging from a piece of leather? Nice silver spoon bowl, still looking for a complete silver spoon or fork. Great hunt. :thumbsup02:

Digger Don
04-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Some nice quarters. That fob is fantastic, is the second picture an example of one as I see it is hanging from a piece of leather? Nice silver spoon bowl, still looking for a complete silver spoon or fork. Great hunt. :thumbsup02:Thanks and yes it is. I just wanted to show what it once looked like.

Full Metal Digger
04-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Congrats Don on finding 3 Barber quarters in 1 yard! I don't think I have ever seen that on any forum before. It was a lot of fun detecting with you. Thanks for buying my lunch too! I should have gotten the steak and lobster though! LOL. Looking forward to our next hunt together. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Bucknut
04-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Amazing hunt! You find SO MANY OLD quarters!

Tony Two-Cent
04-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Three Barber Quarters in one hunt? That is INSANE! Wow, all from one yard too! That's when you know it hasn't been hunted much, if at all!

I really like the watch fob and the silver spoon bowl too! It looks like you and DaddyDigger had a great hunt! :thumbsup02:

:congrats:

Fire Fighter 43
04-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Holy cow!! 3 barber quarters in one hunt, WTG and congrats.

ewcoinhunter
04-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Very nice digs! Congrats on all your finds.

BTV Digger
04-28-2016, 06:20 PM
A wonderful trio Don and congrats. The watch fob ranks right up there as well. Really a neat find.

John

wisconsin digger
04-30-2016, 08:35 PM
I watched the video, what a great hunt. A 4 quarter day is great enough but 3 Barbers is something else. Great hunt guys WD