PDA

View Full Version : Diggen with Digger Don in Central Illinois / A Wheat Cent Kind of Day!

Full Metal Digger
04-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Hey Diggers,
With the weather forecast to be so nice this weekend Don and I decided to meet for some coin shooting. We met at a park that dates to 1834 and it didn't take long to realize we weren't going to find anything there! I overheard Don talking to a gentleman who was walking his dog in the park. About 20 minutes later I saw this same gentleman at his house across the street. I walked over and introduced myself and asked him questions about his Victorian style house (1888). I asked him if anyone had ever detected his yard and he said "No, do you want to?" I said yes and he said "Have fun, knock yourself out!"

Don gave me the choice of which half of the yard I wanted. I chose the side that looked most promising. BIG MISTAKE, LOL! I was digging wheat cents and he was popping Barber quarters! Every time I turned around he was filming another find! I got a wheat cent, what have you got? Oh, just another Barber quarter. :devilish::devilish::devilish: Don killed it! I was very happy to see the joy on his face as he held 3 just-dug Barbers in his hand! :clapping:

Finally I got a great signal about 8 inches deep and pulled out a huge copper coin. It was too big to be a large cent so I thought it might be some kind of KG or something (I was thinking colonial copper for some crazy reason!). Turned out to be a 1861 French Empire Napoleon III 10 Centimes. A few minutes later I scored my first silver with a 1924-D mercury dime that was sharing the hole with a wheat cent and a chunk of rusted iron (LOVE the e-trac). All together we pulled 7 silvers out of that yard!

The next thing I know Don informs me he has gotten permission for us 2 doors down. It was also a late 1800s Victorian. He asked which side of the yard I wanted and I said "OH NO! The last time we did this you killed me!" I told Don he gets to pick this time! :) He picked the side closest to the driveway and I got the larger portion of the yard (He is such a nice guy!). A couple wheat cents later and finally a beautiful 12-48 at 4 inches deep. Out pops a very nice 1925 SLQ! :happydance01: As the day went on we got a couple more permissions but the finds were not as thrilling for me as the first 2 yards. I finished the day with 18 wheat cents, 1 Indian Head cent, 5 silvers, 2 junk rings, an old key, and 2 enameled pins. I must admit thought that my most favorite find of the day was a simple coal scatter tag! I love finding them. They always ring up as 12-12 on the e-trac. You think you're digging a nickel and out pops a thin aluminum token. It was pristine when I dug it but it got bent in my pouch. The Orient Coal Co. was an Illinois mining company and is well known for a disaster where 119 miners died in an explosion in 1951.

Thanks Don for sharing this adventure with me. I had a great time. I'm looking forward to our next meeting in late May.

P.S. Can anyone identify the bullet I found at the 1870 house?

Digger Don
04-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Congrats on your 5 Silvers and Indian. I still think the find of the day was that 1861 Napoleon III 10 centimes. That was just a great looking old coin.
I sure wish there were more yards like that one!!
I had a great time hunting with you again, even though you dug the only SLQ of the day. LOL.
We'll see you at the end of May.
Take care and HH, Don

aloldstuff
04-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Your pile of keepers is starting to make me want to do the door knocking thing again. :congrats:on all the silvers, wheats, the 10 centimes and of course the IH. Fantastic hunting.....:thumbsup02:

Digger_O'Dell
04-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Great hunt! I can't believe the SLQ is so worn but the date still looks so clear, that's usually the first to go. Nice group of keepers! :congrats:

Bucknut
04-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Man you guys sure did well!!! Sweet SLQ too!

Tony Two-Cent
04-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Wow, you had an awesome day, Dave! I love that 1861 French coin, it has a beautiful patina. 155 years old, wow! :shocked04:

The 1925 SLQ is a terrific find too.

I always like to find the coal scatter tags as well. You're right, they always ring up like a nickel.

Congrats on your wonderful finds! :clapping:

Digger Don
04-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Wow, you had an awesome day, Dave! I love that 1861 French coin, it has a beautiful patina. 155 years old, wow! :shocked04:

In my opinion, that 1861 French coin was the find of the day!!

Full Metal Digger
04-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Thanks Tony, I was hoping for a colonial copper at first but I will gladly take this one! I encourage everyone to read about Napoleon III on Wikipedia and how he came to be Emperor during the time this coin was minted. That really is the best part of this hobby--learning about the history behind the coin or relic.

MI Detectors
04-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Now that's a good day of digging! Congratulations fellas!

Fire Fighter 43
04-28-2016, 11:17 AM
You guys did very well congrats on a bunch of nice digs, WTG.

wisconsin digger
04-30-2016, 08:37 PM
You guys had one heck of a hunt. Nice duo Trifecta on the quarters. Wd

nalc472
05-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Great finds. Sure wish there were big old parks around here. That is the price I pay to in in podunk.