PDA

View Full Version : I've joined "The Club"! - 4/23

Trooper Bri
04-24-2016, 06:20 PM
So, two weeks ago when we found that we were on an untouched site, Dan made a prediction a couple hours into the hunt. With all the dandy buttons popping, there had to be a George Washington Inaugural button there.

He was right! A few hours into it, boom! It was a free-for-all on the last hunt, and this trip we had to settle down and be more methodical. It was within 10ft of the main cabin site, and we both had been swinging around it. I've cleaned it up as much as I dare for now, and the shank is intact. Alberts lists it as a WI 12b (54 marks on the border). It also gets an R5 rarity, 6-10 examples. I'm stunned to have managed a find like this in only two years of detecting.

For the rest of the day it was back to buttons, buttons, buttons. I managed 30 in total including a flaky pewter one not shown. Not much in the fancy department this time around. Almost all were plain, some with back marks. My few non-button finds included a pewter musket ball, a few iron tack buckles, and some sort of thin brass or copper hinge half.

Not long before it really slowed down for us, I had been beating up the cabin site pulling buttons out of the nails. I started working a jumpy tone, and upon clearing out a big ol' square nail, was greeted with a nice upper 70's VDI and sweet tone. My 2'nd Nova Constellatio! Dan beat me to it and ID'd it as a Crosby 1-B with the blunt rays. Date is 1785.

The bugs were unreal yesterday. We were swarmed the second we got out of the Jeep, and they didn't let up for 10 hours. I had to cover up completely, and wore a head net because they were chewing me alive. A beautiful day to be digging once the sun came out and it dried up. Thanks for a fun day as usual Dan, it's one I won't forget any time soon!

The Rebel
04-24-2016, 06:35 PM
WTG on the GW & Nova!

aloldstuff
04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
What a club to be a member of......huge :congrats:on that GW, it looks marvelous. So now you have two Nova's, again huge congrats. Great hunt you and Dan had. I'm speechless, those finds are what this hobby is all about.

Digger_O'Dell
04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Wow, awesome rare finds, all in good condition too. We'll font and congrats!

Digger Don
04-24-2016, 07:34 PM
Congrats Bri. Awesome buttons
Man, you guys have been killing it.:perfect10:

Lodge Scent
04-24-2016, 09:02 PM
:shocked05: That GW is one of the nicest I've ever seen posted Brian. Huge congrats. That Nova is a stunner too. Talk about a killer hunt! :congrats:

BTV Digger
04-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Congrats Brian and those are wonderful finds! As you say, it's hard to believe how far you've come in just a few years. I remember when just finding a wheatie was a good find on your earlier videos! Of course it helps being in an awesome part of the country to detect as we are, and to have such a great hunting partner in Dan. I sort of liken MD'ing to golf. It's those great rounds, or that odd 300 yard drive or birdie that keeps you coming back even in the tough times. I agree you'll remember this day forever.............along with your "Spoontastic" day of course. ;) Way to go.

John

del
04-25-2016, 01:23 AM
Lets all give a nice round to the newest inductee Brian , to the GW button club :beerbuddy: :cheering::cheering:

I knew he had something good (or gotten molested by insects or odd reptile :lol:) when I heard him yell out to me , the odd look of happiness mixed with disbelief on his face was a priceless combination to behold . It was great to share in his excitement !!:yes: It is a great button Brian and congrats on such a nice example , i've seen many in very poor shape or bent up .congratulations Brian

lee
04-25-2016, 06:31 AM
omg !!!!! i have no words Brian...........you lucky @%#$......well done mate..... im so jealous right now

Tony Two-Cent
04-25-2016, 08:29 AM
That is a beautiful example of a GW button! WOW! One of the nicest I've ever seen! :loveit:

Huge congrats on joining that awesome club! :notworthy:

I am equally impressed by the Nova! What an incredible colonial coin. You knocked the ball out of the park with this hunt, Brian!

:perfect10:

Bucknut
04-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Wowsers! what a great hunt!

RIdirtdigger
04-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Congrats on an incredible rare find

Trooper Bri
04-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure I'll ever top a day like that.

Funny thing was, being caked in dirt, the first thing I saw was some fancy around the edges and thought it was just another dandy with some kind of pattern on it. Gave it a wipe with my thumb and saw the star and head of the eagle. That's when Dan heard me holler. There could even be others there, but with the site trashed by loggers, we may never know.

chief5709
04-26-2016, 04:26 AM
Huge congratulations that is one beautiful button and a "prize" that is near the top of every relic hunters bucket list. What a great site that you and Dan have found. Again, congratulations!

Donnie B
04-26-2016, 06:09 AM
WOW! That's one of those detecting days that you will never forget!

Iron Patch
04-26-2016, 06:16 AM
"I've cleaned it up as much as I dare for now"

You'd be crazy to do anything more because it's as good as it can be. In fact, other than loaded with silver or gold you can't ask for much better from a dug button.

You'll definitely not forget that one and have a couple of kick a$$ mementos to remind you if you do. :)

OxShoeDrew
04-26-2016, 01:59 PM
:shocked05:HOORAYYYYY!!! :shocked05:
That is one beautiful example too! That will be the center of a display for years to come....congrats on a special day.:clapping:

GKman
05-02-2016, 11:01 AM
What a great find! Congratulations!

nalc472
05-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Great finds. I need to go east to find something like that. Congrats.