PDA

View Full Version : Revisited the 1860 house I hunted 3 years ago--more silvers!

Full Metal Digger
05-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Hey diggers,
3 years ago I detected a 1860 house (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?11744-One-of-my-best-hunts-in-a-long-time!) where I found several silvers and even a 1854 large cent. I went back this morning to see what I had missed. There is so much iron and trash in this yard I figured the odds were real good that another coin or two was still hiding. After about 45 minutes I finally got a repeatable 12-40 at 6 inches. Most likely a wheat cent I thought. I had trouble cutting the plug because of all the tree roots. Once I got most of the dirt out I saw a silver dime in the bottom. It turned out to be a 1917-S mercury dime. A re-check of the hole revealed a crusty wheat cent also!

Nearly 2 hours later I was working an area I had covered many times and thought I heard a quick chirp between the iron and junk. The e-trac wouldn't lock on to the target but I kept seeing 12-47 pop up every couple sweeps. I decided to dig but was about 90% sure it was iron falsing. After I cut the plug and got my Sunray probe in the hole I heard the unmistakable sound of silver! I moved a little more dirt and saw the rim of a silver quarter. A 1942 Washington. I ended the day with 2 silvers and 2 wheat cents (not a bad ratio!). I also got a very old toe tap (maybe 1800s?) and an usual doodad I can't ID (posted in another thread).

Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
05-01-2016, 05:43 PM
WTG on getting those silvers and wheat's. Top tap looks to be old. The other item looks to be part of a pocket watch, only because it looks like a winder at the top and then the broken loop where the fob would have been attached....??????. Just my thoughts...:dontknow:

Digger_O'Dell
05-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Not bad for a repeat site! Sometimes you just have to follow your gut feeling on those iffy signals, as you've proven, sometimes they pay off! Well done and congrats!

Digger Don
05-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Nice job Dave. 2 Silvers and some cool relics makes for a good Sunday. :congrats:

wisconsin digger
05-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Goos recoveries in a tough area. Nice finds. Digger Don must of hit the house first as no Barber or SLQ quarters were present. WD

MangoAve
05-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Interesting finds...the last two items. Nice score on nabbing the remaining silvers. Guess it proves the saying is true... you said you hit those areas pretty well and you still missed a few silver. And yes, the toe tap is 1800s; around the same time as the heel plates.

Fire Fighter 43
05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
WTG on a return trip, congrats on the silver.