PDA

View Full Version : 2 coppers, two cent piece, more coins + relics

RIdirtdigger
05-02-2016, 03:06 PM
It was a pretty sucessful week detecting. On Friday After my final class of the semester I met up with my Brendan. I decided to take him to the cellar hole I had found the shoe buckle at just a week before. I knew I had missed stuff there. We get to the site, and BAM, right near a break in the wall I get a sweet signal. Looks like it's a toasted CT copper. A few buttons later I get another high signal not as nice as the first one but it still had a lot of potential. I pull out copper number 2 for the day! This one is a special one as it turned out to be my very first classic head large cent!! Date is 1813 which makes it a good date cause only 418,000 of them were made. Brendan also pulled a copper only about 5 feet away from where I got the CT. We think it's a woods Hibernia but he hasn't sent me a cleaned up photo of it yet so I don't know for sure. Overall great site, obviously very lightly hit. I'll probably come back in the fall when some of the growth dies down to give it one last shot. Saturday I went to the Cottrel Farm Benefit Hunt (same farm as DINE last year) and had a good time. Saw some familiar faces and also met some new people. I did ok with the finds as well, two flat buttons, Indian head, and a buffalo nickel. Great day to be swinging. Sunday I got an hour in at a cellar hole. This cellar hole was on the historical maps, I usually hit the ones not on the maps but I had a good feeling about this one and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I went as I scored my 3rd ever two center! Date is 1864 (like my other ones), also scored some buttons and relics. Site was hit before but they still left some stuff behind. Great week, and hope for many more to come.

RIdirtdigger
05-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Forgot to mention, the mechanical pencil I found still writes lol

badgers325
05-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Nice finds. Congrats!

Digger_O'Dell
05-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Wow, looks like you did quite well, congrats!

Robert Steponaitis
05-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Very nice Jim! Love the classic head! I am still looking for my first

aloldstuff
05-03-2016, 05:10 AM
Great finds. Your 3rd 2 cent and they are all the 1864's. I've got two, both 1865's. Nice early classic head and is that rabbit lead?
So now that you are out of school I'm sure the time you get to spend detecting will greatly increase....:thumbsup02:

MangoAve
05-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Nice finds. Still looking for my two cents. I need know it all Dan to show me how to find the sites not on the maps.

Very nice Jim! Love the classic head! I am still looking for my first

Hmm.. I am too. Oldest I got was 1818 which is still a coronet.

So now that you are out of school I'm sure the time you get to spend detecting will greatly increase....
.......I'd tag along for a place in CT. I rarely get past Union, Coventry, Wethersfield. Just because a 50 min+ drive I'd need to have a guaranteed spot vs a door knock. But for Al, I am on the MA border so I can make the exception to go into MA. lol.

OxShoeDrew
05-03-2016, 03:52 PM
You're having a very productive year Jim! Keep it up!:congrats:

del
05-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Congrats on the productive site Jim , the stone structure looks like someone still lives in it !!:shocked02: some great coins and i wanted to detect at Terry's event but i had Family fly in from Phoenix . Great pictures by the way !!

Dan