PDA

View Full Version : MA Copper, Old/New Dog Tags

OxShoeDrew
05-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I started the year finding eight quick coppers, then events conspired against me...vacation,weather,life...wait a minute, metal detecting IS life! :lol:
This past week I've been back at it and after the 1650s Liard a few days ago I dug my second Massachusetts state copper. I remember digging my first because it was my deepest copper ever. It was a measured 12 inches. This one was deep too (7in) but after the rain, it sounded like music to my ears.
The buckle frame has me puzzled as it looks like a sash buckle but it's as heavy as a shoe buckle...and has the pin holes where shoe buckles have them. Any ideas?
The dog tags have an 80-year span.:shocked01:
Thanks for looking!

aloldstuff
05-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Back in the groove....:thumbsup02:. A MASS copper is very high on my list, congrats on yours. That buckle with the pin holes sure does look like a shoe buckle. Nice old dog tag also.

Lodge Scent
05-03-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm with Al....a MA copper is still eluding me. Nice find Drew. :envious: I am guessing that is a shoe buckle also.....a very interesting style.

Digger_O'Dell
05-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Nice finds and congrats on the copper!

MangoAve
05-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Congrats on the MA. I've actually wanted to MD ever since one in great shape was found on the street where I grew up. None of the houses were older than the 60's either... And no, it wasn't found by MD.

That does look like it would still be a shoe buckle, Drew. I don't think I have ever seen a sash buckle without that clip or the loop and never with a pin hole. Im sure Dan can verify age. The shape makes me think mid-1700s.

RIdirtdigger
05-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Nice Mass copper, those are pretty hard to come by

The Rebel
05-04-2016, 07:19 PM
WTG Drew on the MA Copper as well as the other finds. Still looking for a MA.

del
05-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Second Mass copper :shocked05: I still haven't gotten my first yet Mister !!:ticked::hairpulling::girlcry: , I've seen a few buckles like that , they seem more like a worked piece of sheet brass that brass thats cast from a mold . I agree its probably a shoe buckle . Great Finds Drew !!:notworthy: