PDA

View Full Version : Killed it at the farm! WOW

Digger_O'Dell
05-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Hi all,
As I wrote in my post under what is it, I had spent the day mowing down some thick brush at the farm. I lost a hairpin clip off the mower, so broke out the detector to look for it. This was a decision that made my day and then some!
First good signal I got was a deep wheatie which I couldn't resist digging. It showed 6 inches, but almost gave up when it went far derper. But i persisted through the thick tangle of roots and was blown away when about a foot down I unearthed a beautiful copper buckle! Turns out its a Victorian era mid 1800s sash buckle, a big first for me! After posting pics here to ID it, a couple feet away I found another, also about a foot down under thick roots. It was tough digging, but it was worth the fight getting there.

Not far away I got a bouncy 12-42/44 at 4 inches. In this hole I pulled a dateless SLQ. Rechecking the hole, I found its friend, an 1893 Barber quarter! Well worn, but my first and another bucket lister-and only 2 years off being a seated to boot. Once again I get a nice 12-36 at 6 inches a few feet over. After a tough dig through the roots I was rewarded with beautiful 1876 IH! Not a spot of green on it anywhere. It's the oldest IH I've found to date, and the most valuable coin to date.

All this was found in about a 20x20 foot square. I did manage to find a big but mangled suspender buckle which broke, and of course I also found the spoon that I think is required to be buried near any treasure, but nothing else was in the area. So I moved to another area I had cleaned up earlier in the day, and it didn't take long for another good signal amid lots of nails. This time I popped a nice 10 cent token for shave cream. It was a little mangled, but was able to straighten it up enough to read it.

After some time without any other finds I started working the last stretch heading bacteria towards the house. It was then I got another nice signal and found a pocket watch frame. A couple feet over, I found one of the covers for it. The cover is dented, but has a beautiful engraving on a stag standing on a knoll. With this last find I called it a day.

driftwood1963
05-10-2016, 01:46 AM
In some old dirt there.......nice!

aloldstuff
05-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Mow all that thick brush down......some great finds there. Fantastic group of coins, :congrats:on the bucket list Barber quarter and your oldest IH.

Bucknut
05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Awesome day! Some great coins and relics! Is this your farm? If so then mow every in that area and dig it all!

Digger_O'Dell
05-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Awesome day! Some great coins and relics! Is this your farm? If so then mow every in that area and dig it all!

Nope, only renting. But i am working on cleaning up the place a bit. It seems to me it must have been detected heavily before because the place is generally barren of any targets. Even the fields are bare other than more recent trash likely blown in off the road. So i only have a couple small areas left that I can hit once they get cleared, but don't expect anything much in those spots.

MangoAve
05-11-2016, 07:08 AM
Nice finds. I wonder why the guts of the watch were gone. That's the same what happened with the one I nabbed. The site I got it was a farm as well. It was out back by the brooch and sash buckle and pin which makes me think all those were purposely discarded vs being lost. Seems like you are learning that (newer) machine well.

Fire Fighter 43
05-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Congrats on some nice finds Chris. The silvers are always nice to find but I really like the buckles. Good luck with the rest of the area you have to clear.

groundhog53946
05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Wow! Awesome finds Chris! Knew you were going to find out where things were hiding! At the rate you are going, gold should be soon

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
05-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Interesting, after cleaning the watch case cover it fell apart - it was one cover nested inside the other! I was able to get the makers mark and serial number, and traced it to the Philadelphia watch case co. Mfd in 1889. Here's a better example of the cover.

wisconsin digger
05-13-2016, 05:43 AM
Congrats on the great finds. I found the same spill last year with a worn barber and dateless SLQ. WD

Tony Two-Cent
05-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Congrats on the terrific finds, especially the old quarter spill! :wow:

Good job on the bucket list Barber Quarter! :clapping:

Digger Don
05-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Congrats on the great coins and relics.