PDA

View Full Version : Why do you Metal Detect?

Dave
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
I read something awhile ago that got me thinking. Why do you Metal Detect? Do you really think that you are going to find that pirate chest full of treasures? I would lke to know what it is about this hobby that you enjoy so much. I like this hobby because of the people that I have met as well as the treasures that I have found. I don't really plan on keeping my treasures no matter how cool they are. I enjoy the hunt most of all. I get a kick out of seeing what in the heck that is just under my feet. Silver, Gold, Old toy's, whatever. I get a kick out of seeing what others have found too. I like traveling all over and experiancing the different place's to hunt. I do have plans for the treasure and trinkets that I have found. The next guy, just might find a pirate chest full of treasure's. Now that would be a tale to tell. How I found pirates treasure in, Kansas?? Whats your story?

coinnut
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Ever since I was a little kid and was wandering around my neighborhood, I would always be looking down. Maybe because living in a city, you had lots of trash to look over as you walked lol. I remember looking at the stamps off of envelopes that were thrown about, when the plows hit the curbside trash in the winter. We would walk the snow banks and see all kinds of stuff. Remember, the average postage stamp back then was a 4 or 5 cent stamp crying01 So as I got older, I graduated from the snow banks to the river banks and looked for old bottles that stuck out of the bank. Also collected dated nails when walking the railroad tracks. So I guess it's genetic :twirlingeyes: You are either born that way or not. But that's how I got interested in lost items. Digging for coins in the dirt, was the icing on the cake thumbsup01

del
11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
my therapist said it would calm the voices in my head ! ;)

no but seriously i use to play with those small plastic army men in my back yard in a big mud hole that i would dig tunnels and make mud castles and i think i went through alot (lost)of my mothers spoons.so i got started when i was 9 or 10 my mom bought me a cheapy radio shack detector for Christmas , it was a win win for everyone i had alot of fun and she got her spoons back lol :grin: lol and i rediscovered the hobby about 9 or 10 years ago and that old feeling ya get finding neat things and it sure does bring back memories of my mom everytime i pull up a spoon .

Dan

OkieDigger
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm naturally curious. I have always loved history as well. Metal detecting is a way for me to satisfy both things. More importantly, it's also my stress reliever. I'm not looking to get rich, but I sure won't mind if I do. I do however love to keep my finds. They might be worthless for the most part, but they are a treasure to me. I have given coins away before so it's not that I'm selfish. I plan on passing down all my finds to my kids just as my dad has to me. One of my goals was to become a better detectorist than my dad. I feel like I've finally been able to do that now. I'm hoping one day my kids will become better than me at the hobby.

MNDigger
11-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Growing up as a kid I always wanted to be an archaeologist. I would watch people on TV digging up cool old relics and it always intrigued me. Well I never became an archaelogist but for me detecting is really the next best thing. I remember a buddy of mine was digging a hole in his back yard one time back in high school and he ended up finding a Mercury dime. That really got me thinking about what was really in the ground and the idea never went away until I finally bought a detector about 5 years ago. It has always just been a hobby for me and a great stress reliever as I have a very stressful job. Hopefully someday I will strike it rich but it has never been my intention! :)

angellionel
11-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Contrary to what it may seem, for me detecting is about having time alone, time to think, as well as simply enjoying being outside. It is also a stress reliever. I love walking into the woods and just getting 'lost', walking for hours while detecting. I don't have to find anything to enjoy my time out. I have returned home empty-handed countless of times, yet I loved every moment sweeping the coil. It sure adds to the enjoyment when finding a few old coins though. thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I love the idea of finding an old coin, or other relic, that has been in the ground and has not been touched for decades, maybe hundreds of years, until I dig it up. I like the sense of unknown... that whatever target I found could be absolutely anything (including a buried Volkswagon lol ). I do like the peace, also. I much prefer going places where there are no other people. I like detecting in the woods or in rural areas. Parks bother me more, because there are too many nosy people. I don't like people when I'm detecting. lol

I don't like history per se, but I am intrigued by old houses in particular. Especially old deserted houses.

RWJR13
11-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Just to get out and finding something someone has lost years before..Havin' fun in group hunts, my two boy's out diggin' for me or just alone....Just like detecting..... ;)

bmattioli
11-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I've always been a collector.. Once I bought my Ace 250 on New Years Eve of 2008 and went out I became hooked on finding coins and jewlery. Now I have a hobby where my collection addiction is satisfied and for free.. I always have fun out there..

Bruce

Jason in Enid
11-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't really know why I do it. I started this about 25 years ago. I know it all started with a treasure magazine I picked up during a family vacation in the Rockies. Whne I got home I saved and bought a cheap radioshack POS. My local park was actually virgin territory and I paid for that machine with the clad I pulled from the park. A couple years later, I saved up enough to buy a Garrett MH7. I found so much cool stuff with it. I love finding OLD coins, and I like ghosttowning and bottle hunting. Soooo I guess I just like the history aspect.

marchas45
11-14-2009, 02:34 PM
I do it to get away from the rest of the world. I love being in my own thoughts and it's strange because I can't remember what I was thinking about when I was detecting, even when I detect with a group I'm still alone in my thoughts and at my age I need the excercise which is a side benefit. :smitten:

Krom
11-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Earth ('til I get the proper equipment to swing elsewhere). :cheesysmile:

coinnut
11-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Wow Krom.... Hate to break it to you, but me and Del hit that place last year lol lol :twirlingeyes: ;)

angellionel
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM

lol lol The meteorites would be all yours. ;)

del
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow Krom.... Hate to break it to you, but me and Del hit that place last year lol lol :twirlingeyes: ;)

ya very disappointing too Joe , :( those guys wearring the funny tracked shoes all they dropped was clad ;) lol lol

but Coinnut found the keys to their wierd looking ride they left Doubled parked . :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes:

Krom
11-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Ooooo, I'm soooo sorry...!
I read that too fast! I thought it said Where.
OK... Why?
Ummmm.... 'cause I wanna find stuff.
What? You think it was for the freakin' exersise? I'm 61!!! lol

CoinNut... what'd you guys do... stick to Tranquility Base? I hit that place with my Classic ID 5 years ago... see?

hoser
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I too just love getting out in my own little world and be able to think and breeath in some good fresh air. I don't care what I find. Don't get me wrong I love finding the old coins and jewelery but if I had to choose I would rather find things I could do a lot of research on to find out who owned it, where they were from, and try to determine why the item was where I found it.

Krom
11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Nice reply, Hoser. thumbsup01

coinnut
11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
CoinNut... what'd you guys do... stick to Tranquility Base? I hit that place with my Classic ID 5 years ago... see?

Yea, we did. We got kinda lazy and they just put in a new surround sound system in the module, so we listened to music all day :twirlingeyes: But let me know what areas you hit with that classic ID so I can get the stuff you missed lol lol ;) Just bustin ya.

Krom
11-17-2009, 10:39 PM
That ID's been history (like Apollo 15) for a long time now. :grin:
You'll hafta compete with a DFX now... (ummm...you too, Dan)! lol :beatdown:
Bustin' ya back, guys. :twirlingeyes:

SeabeeRon
11-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Some great responses here! Like many have said, I too do it for the solitude and to take a few hours to appreciate where I get to hunt. The beaches here are like two different worlds between summer and winter, each with their own benefits!

beepn
11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Metal detecting is stress relief,it totally relaxes me when I'm hunting.I have a little boy inside me that anticipates the next find.The history aspect of research is facinating.There is the thrill of finding coins also.Truth be known I'm happy digging clad.Old silver is icing on the cake.Bill

Ron in WY
11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I've always liked to hunt, especially pheasants in MI. Seems like as I've grown older my appreciation for living things has changed. Spent quite a bit of time hunting for comets with my telescope but lost interest since numerous agencies have taken over scanning the skies.

Now I hunt with my E-TRAC. Satisfys my need to hunt and can be healthy and profitable.

Ron

RickO
11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I have always had an incredible curiosity for things unknown. I looked for buried treasure as a kid, searched change for special coins, hunted fields and river shores for indian artifacts. Now, my main interest is finding caches or hoards, however one wishes to term that pile of loot that I know is likely to be found the NEXT time I go out. I enjoy the research and the hunt. When I find the big cache, the thrill is incredible. RickO

Stang1968
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Why do I metal detect? Well it goes back to first grade... :)
We did a project on hundreds and each of us had to make a display of one hundred. I chose to use pennies. WHen I was making it, I noticed that a handful of the pennies were different on the back- they had the wheat stalks with ONE CENT between them. I asked my mom about them, and she didn't know much about them other than she used to see them as a kid more. I still have those wheaties from that project.
As I got older, I was kind of a loner at school, and I would walk the sports field in a grid looking for coins lost in the ground. I did pretty good too with the surface drops. At some point I saw a metal detectorist and read a book by Charles Garrett in the library, and I knew I wanted one.
20 years later, I finally got one, and I'm hooked much to the chagrin of my fiance. :kiss:

RickO
11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
My focus and driving desire really is a treasure trove... whether it be a buried jar of gold coins or chest full of cash and goodies. The occasional coins and rings are exciting.. but I search (and research) for BIG treasure. Might just find it someday. RickO

TimC
11-30-2009, 08:07 AM
It's relaxing to me, like a drug of some kind. I stay stressed out so much these days with all the sickness in the family. But apart form that it's all about uncovering relics and coins, something that has not been seen in perhaps a hundred years and preserving it.

Evan
12-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Ever since I can remember, I have had alot of interests relating to metal detecting. I remember all the times at my two older brothers basball games, not paying any attention to the game but was in the woods looking for baseballs, I would come out with a decent amount of them each time. I have always loved the outdoors, and have been hiking and in the woods as long as i can recall. I also loved digging in my dirt pile in my yard as a kid, I would spend all day doing that, filling the holes with water and playing. Another big section I have always been interested in is history, pretty much anything history... when the other kids would be doing book reports on sports or a famous person, I would be doing a report on the civil war, or the pilgrims at Plymouth plantation etc. History has always just been so fascinating to me. My dad had an old junker metal detector from radio shack in the 80's growing up, but I was always too young to understand it, I always thought it was really cool. Fast forwarding to my teens I was so enthralled by the Civil War and history that I quit Boyscouts to join a Civil War reenacting group. I am still involved in reenactment to this day. Fast forward some more, about 4-5 years ago one of my sgt's in the army had a metal detector and was showing me some of his crazy finds that he had found. We got to talking and I ended up purchasing a detector as well as my dad and uncle. needless to say I just blended so many of the things I have always enjoyed in my life into one perfect hobby for me!!! Today I can't get enough of metal detecting, not only is it relaxing, it is my thinking time a dose of sanity, and I also like the fact it's like Christmas everyday, never knowing what you can find underneath your coil. I also really enjoy researching the history and knowledge I have gained on the past. As you can see I have so many reasons why I metal detect, I will close this post on one of the best statements that can hopefully sum up why I have such bad metal mainia. Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!-Forrest Gump

HH,

-Evan

SpringTxDigger
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I think my starting factor was when I was in High School. We had a house up on Lake Livingston. I would spend the summer up there fishing and riding motor bikes. We had a sandy beach area in front of the house. I was walking on the beach one day after a rain. I looked down and found an arrow head. I got to looking and digging and after a few months time probably had a shoe box size collection of points as they're called and pottery with neat decorations. So I think from that day I've been into digging stuff up. I've always been a fan of the archaeology shows on the Discovery Channel. I love a good mystery. So metal detecting fits right in there.

Plus getting out in the woods and the solitude. Yes it is a great stress reliever. And meeting fellow hunters. Some clear across the country in CA! SeabeeRon for one.

1. A good mystery
2. Getting to enjoy the outdoors
3. Meeting new friends

SeabeeRon
12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks Mark! When ya coming out again? Guess I could head SE some time! :poke: :tongue:

SpringTxDigger
12-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks Mark! When ya coming out again? Guess I could head SE some time! :poke: :tongue:

Ron you need to come out and hunt the mighty Camp Logan. Got an extra room. Over 1500 acres of WW1 camp to hunt. Sandy soil like the beach in Santa Cruz. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

BOWSER
01-23-2011, 08:54 PM
sorta fell into the hobby,my wife gave a metal detector as a joke gift,I tried it at the beach ,found some clad and a toe ring I got hooked upgraded and here i am,i think 7 or 8 years now .waiting for my next good find.

Bubba707
01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
It gives me something interesting to do while I'm getting out for fresh air and peace and quiet.

russellt
01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
i wanted to be an archeologist until i discovered how much schooling was involved.. i like the solitude, being by myself and seeing whats underground. its a small number of people that can tell you whats in the ground....sometimes i swear i can smell old ground...... i just love it . its a passion. :yes:
did i mention the thrill of the hunt and having history in your grasp.......my wife said what if you dropped dead detecting one day, wouldnt that be a tragedy.. i said no . if i died going to get my hair cut, that would be a tragedy......... :angelic:

Nitro 54
01-23-2011, 10:07 PM
It's just plain relaxing most of the time lol lol :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: 8/

coinnut
01-23-2011, 10:33 PM
i wanted to be an archeologist until i discovered how much schooling was involved.. i like the solitude, being by myself and seeing whats underground. its a small number of people that can tell you whats in the ground....sometimes i swear i can smell old ground...... i just love it . its a passion. :yes:
did i mention the thrill of the hunt and having history in your grasp.......my wife said what if you dropped dead detecting one day, wouldnt that be a tragedy.. i said no . if i died going to get my hair cut, that would be a tragedy......... :angelic:

Absolutely :clapping: :clapping:

tink77
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Just love finding things.

Dimeman
01-24-2011, 03:18 PM
I started coin collecting in 1960. Silver coins stopped being made for circulation in 1964. In 1969 I started detecting to try and get silver coins to add to my collection. That is why I started.........

why I continue------
It is nice to get outside in the fresh air getting some excercise, forgetting the daily grind and relaxing. Not knowing what the next target will be and going detecting with friends, talking about detecting and what is found is great fun.
And If by chance a bunch of clad, an old coin or nice piece of jewelry is found, that makes the day better.

v3ikid
01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
My loved ones would probably drop dead if i GOT my hair cut. :clapping: That aside, Metal detecting is one of those things that i can do for hours and as hard as I work at it, it never seems like work. The only thing i have NEVER liked about it is when I have had time restraints. If it was a job it would still never seem like work.

RaZR
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
i'm greedy!!! I also like my own company very much.
Honestly, i think it's like Christmas every day i detect. I'm pulling little presents out of the ground that people left for me.
Sure, i guess we would all love the big treasure find. But it's good exercise fresh air and free money! with an occasional gold or silver find.
But mostly i do it cuz i'm GREEDY!!!!!

giant056
01-25-2011, 04:23 AM
It's like when you were a kid opening a box of Cracker Jacks looking for the prize, to me metal detecting is the same, plus when I'm out detecting all my worries just seem to disappear. Serenity fresh air and of course the surprises, I love it.

DustyRoundup
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I have always been a Rockhound/Gold Prospector,,,and Ive spent most of my life outdoors.
It never mattered where I was , I was looking at the ground.

But, for alot of years , I had made Whiskey my main hobby, and it finally caught up to me.

During my first year of sobriety, I started researching metal detectors, as I needed to keep my mind occupied. I researched them all , in depth .
Then, with all the money I was saving , I bought my MXT, and ever since, this hobby has kept me busy.
I continue learning my MXT, I research property ownership, I search out permission,and I research local history.
It works for me, as I am constantly busy.

The old me would be hanging out in my shop, with my bottle in hand, hiding from the kids ,( as if they wouldnt smell it later) :crazy:

Now, its, Hey kids , lets go detecting/ rockhounding. :grin: or Hey , Lets go fishin / detecting

So, I do it because I'm a born digger, and, it keeps me occupied even in the winter months, and the best of all, I am spending more quality time with the kids.
But , THE Most Important part is , Its my new addiction, and it has taken over the thoughts of drinking.
Dusty

Poker Jim
01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I had a wheatie collection when I was a kid and have loved coins ever since. I love holding something you know is so many years old and the connection you have with who might have held it in the past and what was happening in the world when it was minted. Detecting is just an extension of that. I love pulling that old silver coin out of the ground and thinking about how different things were when it was dropped. You get a real connection with what you think the person was like when it was dropped and how the area you are in might have looked. That and the fact that it IS just plain relaxing, yet exciting at the same time. It is a great hobby.

Poker Jim

exsquid
01-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I got back into Metal detecting to have something to do for the hour I am required to take for lunch each day, I now metal detect [when the weather is tolerant]. It has become a very important part of my day as the time spent allows me some thinking time, and more importantly time to pray and talk to God about this crazy world we live in. I also enjoy getting lost in the thoughts of the times of past as I find items that make you ask how did it get here?? It seems a hunt does not go by when I am intrigued by some item that I have found. It simply amazes me the things we can find hiding just under our feet. What an incredible hobby...

Toadman
01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Nobody likes me, so when they can, they tell me to get out ! detecting is a good way to kill some time.. :poke:

capt.
01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
I have always been a Rockhound/Gold Prospector,,,and Ive spent most of my life outdoors.
It never mattered where I was , I was looking at the ground.

But, for alot of years , I had made Whiskey my main hobby, and it finally caught up to me.

During my first year of sobriety, I started researching metal detectors, as I needed to keep my mind occupied. I researched them all , in depth .
Then, with all the money I was saving , I bought my MXT, and ever since, this hobby has kept me busy.
I continue learning my MXT, I research property ownership, I search out permission,and I research local history.
It works for me, as I am constantly busy.

The old me would be hanging out in my shop, with my bottle in hand, hiding from the kids ,( as if they wouldnt smell it later) :crazy:

Now, its, Hey kids , lets go detecting/ rockhounding. :grin: or Hey , Lets go fishin / detecting

So, I do it because I'm a born digger, and, it keeps me occupied even in the winter months, and the best of all, I am spending more quality time with the kids.
But , THE Most Important part is , Its my new addiction, and it has taken over the thoughts of drinking.
Dusty

Congratulations on your sobriety Dusty!!!

I am an introspective type of person and I am quite happy being alone with my thoughts. In my job as a towboat captain I am by myself in the wheelhouse just about all the time and it suits me just fine. I enjoy metal detecting for all the reasons everyone already said... sense of discovery, thrill of the hunt, being alone, and being able to think and enjoy the great outdoors and all the little critters I see while I am doing it. Not many hobbies that one can do that are really relaxing and will actually profit the hobbyist, even if it is pennies at a time.