PDA

View Full Version : Nantucket

CTTodd
05-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Hello all
I've got a week in Nantucket coming up in June. I'm hoping for some information from you about detecting there. I have never detected on a beach before and if I must I will but I don't know the rules or where you can go. Is there regular dirt there? I don't want to sit on the beach for a week. I don't want to sit in the house watching television.

Lodge Scent
05-15-2016, 07:56 PM
It's been many years since I've been there. Had a great uncle that lived there. Most of the public land is scrub oak if I recall. There are some private farm fields that certainly be worth detecting at if you could get permission. There was colonial settlement there since the late 1600's. "Regular dirt" ? On the leeward side of the island, the soil is likely pretty sandy. Could be a good bit of graphite there too. A nice big chunk gives a good signal unfortunately. Ground notch might come in handy.

CTTodd
05-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Wow Crickets

del
05-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Wow Crickets

sorry Todd , never been there and I suspect many here are in the same boat .

Digger_O'Dell
05-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Sorry, I've never detected there either. All I can suggest is to fo some derp research. Try to find the old maps, do overlays, etc as is usual. Once potential sites are located, you should be able to access the USGS maps that will tell you the ground conditions. Quite often you can find more detailed reports of ground composition if you look hard enough. Check the local government wed site, maybe you can access building site tests if you want to get that detailed. Hope this helps

MangoAve
05-25-2016, 08:43 AM
....Idk. For soil, I am sure the inner island is dirt. I do see a few spots. There is a Tom Nevers Park. There's a wildlife sanctuary, a pasture, ram pasture, a small area of state forest, and a whole lot of cranberry bogs. For some reason, the aerial view is poor in the island. There are a lot of municipal/ Nantucket Conservation properties.

Mr. Digger
07-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Todd did you end up doing any detecting on Nantucket? Any luck? I'm going there later this summer.