View Full Version : An add to the 2016 silver count and a 50 yr token

MangoAve
05-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Yesterday I went to ask for a permission. I found the parcels where a cellar exists, but I didn't realize the guy owns a late 1700s house himself where he lives. Lucky I had a nearby spot to try as a backup plan. There were cars, but nobody answered the door. So I went 8 min up the road to a school. Some of the back fields were near an old house and I figured I'd check the area out. Turns out the back area has been revamped a few times adding walkways and whatnot. I did work a soccer field sideline and picked up a junker toe ring with some bling. It gave a mid 50s VDI like a button, but not too stable of a reading. I almost thought it was one of those pull tabs with a higher VDI.. the ones that trick you. Most of the time a 33-34 VDI is a pull tab, but I it's for those peel-tab type.

I ended up moving a ways to the other side near a mid-late 1800s house which was in dire need of repairs. Well, there were some work trucks there yesterday. It was a good move because after mostly clad with a few tricky bottle tops, I pulled up a padlock. Maybe not as old as the iron one this past weekend, but still a find. Turns out I found the right area cuz the next target was silver. Only my third GW silver, but it's still a silver. And then 5 min later I pulled up a boy scouts 50 year commemorative token 1910-1960. :happydance01:Someone on FB said it was the largest jamboree the scouts ever had. One on eBay showed it might be worth more than the quarter. Lol... altho I believe there was some outrageous prices on eBay for a 1942 quarter. If someone didn't know any better...
Total was like 2.5 hr minus a few phone calls. Always when I am out is the only time when the phone tends to ring. :disgusted: The padlock is a Wilson Bohannan, which the company has been around 150 years. The lock is only old enough for the shackle to rust off.

Digger_O'Dell
05-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Nice finds! Funny how things group together -I saw a 50th anniversary scout token found this week too. Go figure....

aloldstuff
05-20-2016, 04:05 AM
Congrats on the 3rd Wash quarter, silver is silver.....:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Nice persistence Jim! :clapping:

wisconsin digger
05-20-2016, 04:46 AM
Always good to have a backup plan. Nice silver. WD

MangoAve
05-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Nice finds! Funny how things group together -I saw a 50th anniversary scout token found this week too. Go figure....

Thanks Chris. It is weird. I believe there was a time when I saw a bunch of Nova's dug. Just a bit ago were a few GW buttons. Now scout tokens. it is odd..

Congrats on the 3rd Wash quarter, silver is silver.....:thumbsup02:

Thanks, Al. I wanna Reale.... not that they are worth a whole lot. But just to say I got one. And, no I didn't expect to find one in a school yard.

Nice persistence Jim! :clapping:

Thanks Drew. Sometimes tenacity is the only way. That's how the finds at the end justify the time it took swinging beforehand. The good finds at the beginning are what make you want to be persistent to find more.

Always good to have a backup plan. Nice silver. WD

Yup, Just like Todd's "dig colonial or go home".... It's "Always have a back-up plan or go home". lol

Fire Fighter 43
05-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Congrats on the silver and a very cool token, WTG.

MangoAve
05-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Congrats on the silver and a very cool token, WTG.

Thanks. The token is quite a unique find.