PDA

View Full Version : Site has potential, but going to be tough!

Digger_O'Dell
05-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone!
Well, I have been finding some new spots to hunt lately, but haven't much to show for them so far. The first was recently hit by someone else recently who didn't even fill their holes. Probably missed by only a couple days at most.
This morning I hit a spot I located as a building site on an 1892 plat, but is now just old growth trees. It was already gone on the 1952 aerial photo, but I did find the farm still standing on a 1937 aerial.
Mostly it was tough swinging due to lots of foliage, and i did find a lot of modern trash. I also located a few places that still show signs of the old farm such as arranged rocks, bricks, and i even found the old cistern. Of course the place is full of iron too as is usual. The only good find so far was an oil lamp wick top. But at least it shows potential and I'll keep working it as long as I can.
Thanks for reading. GL&HH!

Digger_O'Dell
05-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Farm in 1937

Present day: Note the driveway top left side

Lodge Scent
05-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Looks good to me. Where there is iron there is also copper and silver waiting to be sniffed out. Good luck!

MangoAve
05-24-2016, 10:17 AM
There's bound to be something there. It's almost like a site I found. The cellar and well are filled so I cant find them, but I can see the edges of the yard and the bigger trees near where the house once stood. It was def on the '34 aerial but gone now and is town open space. I could only find some modern items there, including a bucket full of golf balls.

del
05-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Chris , sometimes these sites need to be visited a few times to explore and get a "feel for the place" , the items can tell you about what areas were used for , good luck and take your time.

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
05-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Chris , sometimes these sites need to be visited a few times to explore and get a "feel for the place" , the items can tell you about what areas were used for , good luck and take your time.

Dan

Thanks for the advice Dan, and that's exactly what I have been doing. Some of the area is just too overgrown to swing, while others have a thick vine canopy that keeps the ground pretty clear. I've been through the area several times now, and though there is every indication there should be something, there are others that tell me it's been scraped clear such as finding aluminum cans a foot or more down, and dirt piles around the perimeter. As is usual in a home demo here, once the building is removed they scrape off 4 to 8 inches of dirt to remove any loose debris. In this place I think most of the iron is from dumping of trash later on, as there are also dump sites just off the drive.
Today I even did a run over the plowed field next to where the barn was, and behind the house location, nothing but junk, mostly plumbing scraps.