PDA

View Full Version : Farm #4

Digger_O'Dell
05-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Hi all,
Got out to the fourth old farmstead in my area that now resides on public property. I was only able to find one wheatie during a long hunt, but I did find a few interesting relics and bottles including an old John Graf soda dispenser and porcelain lined mason jar lids. I had high hopes for this last site as it looked to be pretty secluded, but once again I think the place has already been cleaned out. Just a bit surprised nobody got that huge chunk of melted lead!

Lots of junk in the trash heap!

The lone survivor-silo in the woods

Foundation stones

Just nature...

Digger_O'Dell
05-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Just a bit more info about the soda siphon. This one is stamped John Graf Co. (Milwaukee Wi.) which I found out want only used from 1913 to 1920 which puts a nice narrow age range on the piece. After cleaning, I found its still in working condition ans even seals!

http://www.bottlepickers.com/bottle_articles339.htm

del
05-27-2016, 09:08 PM
some old relics for sure Chris , the thing i stress to others about sites like this is to detect them at different times of the years . late fall and early spring will open that whole area up and also ground conditions can play a big part too. I like the photos and the tree with all the fungus is cool .

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
05-27-2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks Dan!
The one wheatie (1937) was found at the edge of a fieldstone retaining wall along the silo where it was partially collapsed. Everything else except the lead were surface eyeball finds. Just wish more bottles were intact, but apparently kids partied out there and took the liberty of smashing everything breakable they could find.
The undergrowth is low yet for better swinging, but around where the buildings were are really dense with saplings and nearly impassable.
As a side note, I tried for a permission where I located the former site of an 1863 church, but got a firm no out of it. Kind of figured since that even though it's an unkempt out lot, I found the owner living at one of those huge walled estates with big iron gates and huge statues in front of the mansion. Not the friendly or neighborly type.

aloldstuff
06-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Nice finds and Dan's advise is right on.