PDA

View Full Version : Pro going back for the 6th time...lets see how Garrett customer service is really lik

leslie(nova scotia)
05-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Was excited as I had the chance to use my birthday present on my birthday...my new coil for the pro which set Hunny Bunny back $208. When the pro is working it is a great machine.
Hit a school field and the Pro worked great for ...3 minutes then shut off. Checked the connections, batteries and even going so far as to try a new battery holder and batteries. Again worked for about 2 minutes then started chattering...turned her off reset...worked okay for another 2 minutes then went into a "wailing" mode. CANNOT TELL YOU HOW PO'ED I AM!
This Pro has been back 5 times already for everything from leaking, water in the lcd display area to the machine posts breaking off and most recently a new circut board.. With the price of this new coil (which is suppose to be water proof and I never take in the water due to leakage issues from earlier experiences never sees the water), repair costs and shipping I am sure I have surpassed the original price of when I brought it new. Oh forgot to mention about how the coil always loosens which I had mentioned to Garrett many times and even the previous coil would not screw flush like the headphone connector.
Finished the dig off with a Freedom 3 Plus in a very foul mood! Here is a machine made at Garrett over 20 years ago when Garrett turned out quality products. I'm Sure Charlie Garrett would roll in his grave with his factory producing machines of the present day quality.
Having been a Garrett only swinger for 45 years I fell that I have the right to complain and complain loudly. Some would say I misuse the machines...have really old Garretts that still work....some would say it's just a lemon....well its been in enough times to be repaired its virtually a new machine thus would could infer the workmanship of the repairs was substandard or the parts.
Garrett thanks for ruining my birthday!
Will let you know how Garrett customer service responds.....................have seriously started looking at other manufactures of detectors. Last thing I need is to cross the big pond on the yearly UK trip and have a machine crap out like the Pro did on the Dominican trip!
Turned it on once at home and guess what....worked for 2 minutes!

Cheap Thrills
06-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Wow Leslie , that really sucks !

Digger_O'Dell
06-14-2016, 02:11 PM
Yep, sounds like time for a trade in. I've heard both good and bad about the Garretts. Maybe it's time to try a Whites or Minelab? Hear the Nokta is really good for the price too.

Isaac
06-14-2016, 06:33 PM
I had the same problem. I gave up after they scammed me of over $150 and got a whites. Garrett secretly doesn't give two dumps about their customers, I learned the hard way. Never looked back since.

riveraiders60
08-28-2016, 06:37 AM
I must respond to this negative view of Garrett's products. I have two Ace 150s and two Ace 250s. We love them, have had absolutley no problems and when I did have to replace something, an earphone donut, I called them in Garland , TX and was treated promptly and courteously. I don't know who you contacted but I'm sure if the main office knew how you were treated , they would make it right. Yes I knew when Mr. GARRETT died things would change and they already are. They are discontinuing the 250. ALL manufacturers will go cheaper for more profit as soon as the founding creators die off.The Ace series was specifically created for working class people who wanted a good machine at an affordable price. We are happy with them. We do not want the bells and whistles that cause more problems than they are worth and cost more. We are very unhappy that they have introduced the numbers ID on the new Ace line because now the old ones are being cast aside. When a new generation takes over a company, new ideas take over and it's not always the best thing. As for problems with your machine there are many variables here. After the first couple of times of getting it fixed , I would have asked for a refund and try something else. I waterproofed my 150 for $20 and if it ever breaks it cheap to replace. It is three years old and still doing great and finding everything a $700 machine finds. Sorry for your bad experience but trashing a whole company because of it is not fair to other happy customers. Also we don't put anything aftermarket on our machines, only Garrett products just in case the electronics don't interface properly.

BOWSER
12-30-2016, 09:33 PM
wow ,after the second return you should have asked for a new machine, out of all the AT'S sold and there are lots of them, you would think they would be embarresed enough to send you a new one. I call them tell them you want new.