PDA

View Full Version : Two Barbers: One small and one BIG

Tony Two-Cent
05-31-2016, 12:11 PM
I had a small window of opportunity to get out for a hunt this past Saturday, and I found these goodies along a sidewalk strip behind a grade school in a really old neighborhood in a town that was founded in 1835. I definitely plan to visit this site again, as I only had time to detect a small portion of it.

Incredibly, the very first signal I dug was a 1912-S Barber Half Dollar! You can imagine how my imagination ran wild regarding the potential of this site. :drool:

By the end of my short 2-hour hunt I had an 1897 Indian Head Cent, a 1900 Barber Dime, a Chrysler token, a Minneapolis-Moline fob, and an old lead bullet of some kind.

Here is the Barber Half before cleaning:

... and after cleaning:

I think this was a watch fob, but the loop is broken off the top. It looks like someone scratched the initials "ARH" on the back of it.

This old bullet was a nice surprise. The neighborhood I was hunting is quite old, so it may have some age to it. Can any of you experts out there tell me anything about the caliber or the age of it?

This Chrysler token is quite large, about the size of a silver dollar. I'm not sure how old it is, but it cleaned up nicely.54647

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Digger Don
05-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Great finds Tony. Congrats on the Barbers.
The first thing I thought when I saw it was " Tony's hunting by railroad tracks again" . but I assume it was probably in a low spot that held water.
Anyway, glad to see got out for a hunt and congrats on some very good finds.

Bucknut
05-31-2016, 03:00 PM
First signal was a Barber Half!?! Oh man! I would have difficulty not thinking about getting out of work somehow and visiting that place again! Hope you go back soon and find more...got to be a seated there hiding!

groundhog53946
05-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Wow! Awesome finds for any type of hunt, long or short! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Full Metal Digger
05-31-2016, 03:57 PM
Really good finds Tony. The barber half is really nice especially being an S mint mark. We don't get many of those over here. The bullet looks Civil War era to me. I'll bet you can't wait to get back to that town! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

wisconsin digger
05-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Great finds Tony, nice to see you getting out. Hope to see a video. Great finds WD

Ill Digger
05-31-2016, 06:29 PM
:shocked05:Man! Talk about action packed! :wow:
All those goodies in only 2 hours of hunting!?! I'm sure your chomping at the bit to get back to this place. :drool: I know I would be! :yes:
Great finds Tony! Specially on that big ol' Barber half!! :thumbsup02:
:congrats:
Make sure to keep us up to date on any future hunts from here would ya? :drool::drool::popcorn:

Fire Fighter 43
05-31-2016, 07:15 PM
WTG Tony, congrats on the big silver and a nice hunt.

MangoAve
06-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Nice score on the barber and the token. Did you clean it with the hot water/foil/baking soda method? That crud sure hid that S mint mark.

Tony Two-Cent
06-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Great finds Tony. Congrats on the Barbers.
The first thing I thought when I saw it was " Tony's hunting by railroad tracks again" . but I assume it was probably in a low spot that held water.

Not near any railroad tracks, but the Barber Half was halfway down the slope of a ditch in a very wet area.

Did you clean it with the hot water/foil/baking soda method? That crud sure hid that S mint mark.

Yes, I cleaned it with three cycles of that method. The sulfide was very stubborn.

denny2w
06-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Tony; Congrats on all your great keepers, the guy who commented on your Youtube video saying,
"You're like the Mr. Rogers of metal detecting" made me laugh because it's true!

OxShoeDrew
08-20-2020, 06:12 AM
Sweet finds, Tony! Don't know how I missed this, but better late...:)
Nice cleaning of that half! Did you ever go back?

Tony Two-Cent
08-20-2020, 07:40 AM
Did you ever go back?

Yes, I went back to this site a few weeks later. Here is my post from that return trip. By the end of this hunt I felt I had pounded it pretty hard.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?20015-Quartet-of-Indians-1800s-Silver-and-Some-Relics

wisconsin digger
08-20-2020, 12:02 PM
Great finds Tony, good luck on your return hunt (with more time hopefully. Happy Barbers WD