PDA

View Full Version : Dual coppers again, but a nice view. Sweltering heat.

MangoAve
06-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Idk what it is but apparently I am limited for 2 coppers a hunt. This is either the third or fourth time.

Saturday I got up to a new site to me. There were not any recent dig holes or any iron placed on rocks. I started as far away as I could and worked my way along the old stone wall toward the property. Immediately there was a wagon wheel. Now there is iron placed out in the open. I got up to what looks like an old cellar, across from the standing 1800s abandoned house. Weird if it was a barn, but it was adjacent to an animal pen. Right near the foundation, which was above the ground level on that side, was a silver plate spoon right on the surface. I worked around the area with some odd signals. I need to use a small coil in that area. Just inside the pen I pulled up an 1853 braided hair. I took a short vid before it was dug and after it was dug. Then I went around and couldn't find much of anything. I stopped a few times to take pics. The caterpillars are out in full force now. Some of them were crawling on me after sitting down for changing batteries and for taking a break to eat. It was an interesting place having three gate ways in the rock walls, one of which was like 6 ft long. After a few hours of no luck I came back to where the largie was dug, and scores another one. This time it is a no dater, but a matron. Still have yet to find a classic head. I bet some of you think I am spoiled when I am not quite enthused with those. I already found an 1853 before and in better condition. I cant complain cuz I at least found something. There is another tiny buckle I got, but I didn't bother for a pic. I ended up trying to find another cellar up the old road but I never found it. I found some stone walls. A corner was an immaculate set of walls; no fallen stones. I'm sure I will find it soon along with another cellar I need to find. Otw back I had to take a pic of this large stone. Amazing how the carriages were expected to go over these. Cars today sure can't. The heat was brutal that day.
Sunday I hit a school with Kev. I didn't get much more than a wheat and a bunch of clad. I did have to take a pic, tho, of the coin spill on the top of the ground. Turned out to be three dimes and two pennies. I'm rich!! Lol. The wheat was literally the last coin I dug.
Monday I made it to a spot with a filled in cellar. I was there once and only found a toy gun. This time I didn't find anything worth while. I did however find a piece that looks like a cover to a watch but it's thicker. Yeah, I know a pic would be necessary to ID. There was a box turtle I saw too. Must be mating season for turtles. I walked up the road and did come upon a stone wall going away from the road. It was different than the sporadic piles that lined the street, but I didn't find any more defining attributes to any activity there. At some point I had to turn around an head home. There's an awful long road that had two old houses at each end. There had to have been something in between despite the lack of anything on the old map. Next time I might come from the other side.

MangoAve
06-01-2016, 01:21 PM
I forgot to add about the hunt on the 21st. I got out with Drew again....finally. I did find some spots but every spot I mentioned he said was hit. We did get to a spot he knew of. I pulled up 2 musket balls and one large button. Possibly a large dandy but it has no design. It was an odd reading too which must have meant it was on edge. Funny how two people walked along the path with their machines and missed the modern quarter, which I got. The last target Drew got was right next to a bullet tip I dug. Maybe 12 inches over he pulled up a clad quarter himself. The bullet tip must have been at the edge of my swing because I sure heard the quarter loud and clear when I was helping him pinpoint to find the thing. It was a bit elusive for a little while.

After the woods, we went to a town green up the road a bit. There were def some 1800s houses surrounding the green. We got a bunch of modern clad and there were 9 scout slides pulled between us. I also have what I think is a stainless ring with an outline of a woman's face. I can't find anything online about it. And I realized I don't have a pic as I am writing this. It'll get up on this thread.

Digger_O'Dell
06-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Congrats on the coppers! It sounds like you are in the same rut I'm in. After abut an hours hike yesterday through thick woods to a site that was a mid 1800s church and another building, I found nothing but a zincoln, newer earring, and a lone square nail. I think it's getting to the point that detecting areas are few and far between, and those have all been hammered or had all the soil around them removed over the years.

MangoAve
06-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Here are the pics of the 'ring' that I found in the town green. The band is crushed so I couldn't tell if it was a ring or not. The other guy I was with had guessed it was a girl scout slide being there were quite a few boy scout slides dug up. Idk but he also said it was the symbol for the girl scouts.

Congrats on the coppers! It sounds like you are in the same rut I'm in. After abut an hours hike yesterday through thick woods to a site that was a mid 1800s church and another building, I found nothing but a zincoln, newer earring, and a lone square nail. I think it's getting to the point that detecting areas are few and far between, and those have all been hammered or had all the soil around them removed over the years.

Thanks Chris. Kinda in the same boat..... I am trying here and there to think outside the box to sites people might not have thought to check. The other places were hit more because the old roads are now hiking trails. One area people walk their dogs. However, the majority of cellars are kinda hidden by the growth. It's just people have already looked on the old maps for these places and I end up with the scraps. Tuesday I hit the place where I got the brooch in my avatar. Plenty of buttons had come up before including a plated one. I even tried a different machine and all I could manage were some immaculate square nails and some sort of nickel sized cover. I have been to plenty of places old enough to have Spanish silver....but it just hasn't come about. The better bet is to rely more on private places and I've had some mild success at scoring permissions. No one has shown me how they find the places not on the old maps. One thing I could do is use the ownership for those parcels to find others owned by the same. The place on Monday I know was bulldozed and the cellar filled. That doesn't explain the rest of the area. I see apple trees there which must mean it was an orchard at some point. And I did find farm equipment pieces so there were fields utilized at some point. The small section of stone wall that I saw in person was distinguishable in a specific aerial shot. But then again, it could have been hit by someone between the point it was abandoned and when the state purchased the land and when it was torn down. .

wisconsin digger
06-02-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm hiring you to take my photos. great finds and great nature pics. WD