PDA

View Full Version : Slim pickings today but the COOLEST license tag I ever found!

Full Metal Digger
06-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Hey diggers,
I got 2 permissions today at old houses. One dated to the 1880s. Only got one old coin (a silver though) and I found the best license tag ever! It's aluminum and a bit corroded but it is a keeper none the less! Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

wisconsin digger
06-04-2016, 08:27 PM
So is that what they mean by a one horse town. great find WD

Digger Don
06-04-2016, 11:50 PM
Your right, that tag is COOL. I've never seen one like that before.
Awesome find Dave. :congrats:

Ill Digger
06-06-2016, 06:31 AM
:envious: Now that IS cool!!! :cool:
You know me, I love old dog taxes. :smitten: But a horse tag? Man, you find all the cool stuff! :envious: :girlcry:
But seriously, great find! That'll make a great addition to your collection!
Congrats Dave! :grin:

MangoAve
06-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Nice find. I didn't even know they used those for horses as well, let alone using aluminum for these tags in 1915. I figured it wasn't until the 60's they started making them out of cheaper materials. It used to be brass.

So is that what they mean by a one horse town. great find WD

:lol:

Tony Two-Cent
06-06-2016, 11:40 AM
That horse tag is incredible, Dave! I've never seen one before, wow! And it's 101 years old. Awesome find! :clapping:

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
06-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Your right, that tag is COOL. I've never seen one like that before.
Awesome find Dave. :congrats:

Thanks Don. It was so corroded I thought it was a toy police badge at first. After I started cleaning it up I realized it was something much better.

:envious: Now that IS cool!!! :cool:
You know me, I love old dog taxes. :smitten: But a horse tag? Man, you find all the cool stuff! :envious: :girlcry:
But seriously, great find! That'll make a great addition to your collection!
Congrats Dave! :grin:

Thanks Tim. I'm very happy to have found it. It will make a great center piece for a display case.

Nice find. I didn't even know they used those for horses as well, let alone using aluminum for these tags in 1915. I figured it wasn't until the 60's they started making them out of cheaper materials. It used to be brass.

I thought the exact same thing and was really surprised to see the 1915 date on it.

That horse tag is incredible, Dave! I've never seen one before, wow! And it's 101 years old. Awesome find! :clapping:

:congrats:

Thanks Tony. Someone suggested on Facebook it was a carriage tag but the examples I've seen have screw holes so they can be mounted to the carriage. This has a suspension loop like a fob so I think it hung from a leather strap somewhere on the horse tackle. I'll have to do some research.

aloldstuff
06-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Awesome find Dave. I also have never seen one before and its a great addition to any collection.

OxShoeDrew
06-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Amazing Dave! Just think, they probably started automobile licences shortly after this. :clapping:

milco
06-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Very cool tag you found, I don't think I have ever seen a horse tag.

zrickkid
08-24-2016, 03:05 PM
That means its a motor vehicle tag for a one horsepower engine I believe.