PDA

View Full Version : Bag or?

power
06-06-2016, 03:45 AM
Hi guys new to this Hobby!
Brought myself an X-TERRA 2 weeks ago, and on the weekend i purchased a profind 25 Pinpointer, a Relic/tressure digging tool, small shovel! Ok the issue is if iam in the park, (not inc shovel) how do you guys carry all this? I find a target, get on my knees pull the Rambo sized digger out of its pouch, then fumble on the other side of the belt to get the pinpointer out, find a pulltop, put all the gear back in place, walk 4 feet and do the same process all over!
Was thinking a bum bag, but it would have to be big! Or cargo pants?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bucknut
06-06-2016, 10:20 AM
First welcome to the forum Power. I recommend attaching your pinpointer to the shaft of your detector...that way it is easily accessible and you can see it. You might have to jerry rig something but it is extremely convenient to have it on the detector instead of in a bag or pocket. I just carry in my other hand a small shovel. Some people use a tool belt of sorts that they can slide their pinpointer and shovel into as they are detecting.

Putting everything in your cargo pockets would be time consuming and after a while would be annoying....I know because I did that once.

ODA 226
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
I use a sling bag because I don't like anything hanging off of my belt. Extra weight pulls your pants down! LOL! This bag has enough space for your finds, trash, extra batteries and something to drink. Plus it's really comfortable!

MangoAve
06-06-2016, 11:20 AM
I agree with ODA that the extra weight pulls the pants down. All the pinpointers I have seen come with a holster. I use that. For the shovel I bought a tool holder for the belt. It slides on easy, but it pulls up too easy when you want to take the shovel off. Before that was the ready-shovel which cracked and broke on me. For the small trowel, I use a neodymium magnet on a climbing loop.
For the rest I have been using a backpack. The only drawback with the backpack is that it collects dirt inside and out. Always with the on and off the shoulder straps get the dirt from the gloves, and then transfers it to your shirt. Nothing is ever 'perfect'.

chief5709
06-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Definitely will be a lot of trial before you find the right set up. I've been detecting for almost 10 years and still constantly changing my set ups...

Digger_O'Dell
06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
I've posted about my gear setup some time back. I use a police/military type duty belt with the MOLLE belt. That way I can use almost unlimited variations of pouches, bags, or other gear. I also have the leg belt for additional variations if needed, plus the big Minelab backpack for long hauls. I use an ammo dump bag for trash which works great. If I ever need more room, I could add a MOLLE vest which also supports the weight of a loaded belt if weight ever becomes a concern.

power
06-06-2016, 04:25 PM
I use a sling bag because I don't like anything hanging off of my belt. Extra weight pulls your pants down! LOL! This bag has enough space for your finds, trash, extra batteries and something to drink. Plus it's really comfortable!

Cheers is that from a camping store or Army disposal/surplus store?

power
06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
First welcome to the forum Power. I recommend attaching your pinpointer to the shaft of your detector...that way it is easily accessible and you can see it. You might have to jerry rig something but it is extremely convenient to have it on the detector instead of in a bag or pocket. I just carry in my other hand a small shovel. Some people use a tool belt of sorts that they can slide their pinpointer and shovel into as they are detecting.

Putting everything in your cargo pockets would be time consuming and after a while would be annoying....I know because I did that once.
Great Idea, a few Cable ties?

leslie(nova scotia)
06-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum me bouy......dig and they will come!

power
06-07-2016, 03:47 AM
Decided to go with the cable tie idea!http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160607/5140c25166c6f08e74b7da47f0f0f988.jpg

ODA 226
06-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Cheers is that from a camping store or Army disposal/surplus store?

It's from Maxpedition and I found it on amazon.com . If you look closely at the picture, you'll see that I mounted my standard pinpointer slide holder onto the bag (just slid it onto the bag strap) and my pinpointer is always available with either hand. I love this rig because everything is available to me with no fumbling around and I can check to make sure all my equipment is with me at a glance. This is important especially if you are MD'ing at night!