PDA

View Full Version : A long walk for my finds.

MangoAve
06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
This weekend I could only get in a short hunt. The week was ridic things to do and Sunday was rain all day. Saturday I drove just a little further to an area I was hoping was far enough into the woods that it wasn't hit hard. In reality, it was one that was along the old road that I didn't plan for that had more finds. Go figure.

Google actually told me that the old road was drivable. Yeah, for a 4WD. So I made it in as far as I could, or as far as I would knowing for sure I could get the car back out. I sure didn't wanna tow to get it out. I ended up having about a mile and a half to walk in. While I was walking I did spot some snowmobile signs. Guess these old roads are used for such lately. I did spot 3 or so cellars along the way that I did not intend to hit. One area had the stone work, but I didn't hop over the wall to try and find the cellar. One that I didn't intend to hit I def believe was not hit before. I spent like 20 min there pulling up a silver plate spoon, piece of a conestoga bell, and what I am hoping someone can identify. To me it looks like a horse rosette that broke in half. Maybe someone tried to drill through it. Otherwise someone could hopefully explain why there appears to be an angled hole through the center before it split and broke. I had to take a pic of the small tunnel in a tree I spotted along the way.
I continued the journey to the cellar I was looking for. I entered in the far far stone wall, not by the road. For some reason there was a big pile of stones just over the wall along this really old overgrown road on a slight hill. All I could hear was a handful of iron grunts. I hiked through to find the walls nearest the home site, to find it appears some of these were toppled from logging. Just up the path was the cellar. There were def no recent dig holes, but I did find a few beer cans there. One on a hill 50 ft away from the cellar on the side which I believe was the driveway in. The logging road did follow the double stone walls, but for some reason it eventually cut into the stone walls.. so somewhere along the way it originally must have turned east and then south again. The site didn't hold much for finds. In the newer logging road I found a brass pocket knife. Just down a ways to what looked like a path to a barn site off to the left I picked up another iron one. I went all around this site trying to find a good area to hit. Even back by the stone wall break (prob driveway entrance) and there was only a handful of iron targets off to the right with a little pile of stones and a very small depression. A bit large for a privy but quite a bit small for a cabin site. To my surprise, I had seen a beer can on the top of the ground, but there was a legit target right there. It rang like a pull tab mid 30s VDI, but I got my first barrel tap. I thought it was the darn pull tab from the can. The only other decent target I got was down by the barn. The barn was just down a hill from the cellar. There was only a 40s VDI yet up popped an IH. Better condition than the last one of this year that I pulled up. Kinda pleased that it's an 1864. Guessing its the brass version and I can't tell if there was an L there or not. The coin is in decent shape, however. It was prob the last thing the people dropped before leaving their home.
I hiked back toward the car stopping at one of the other cellars. I hit it for 10 min and it coughed up a monster of a spoon. Too bad it was only plated, but omg is this the best looking plated spoon I have ever dug. It was near the surface. Maybe it was too large for the earth to swallow. I'd hate to be the one having to take medicine from this spoon in 1913. That's the pat date on it, however, something doesn't jive when the William Roger's & son second partnership lasted from 1869 to William Sr. death in 1873. Same makers mark as on this spoon, yet the Oak leaves series was made in Feb 11 1913. That spot def has some potential and I hope to return to it soon. I trekked back to the first spot I hit and did another 5-10 min there and I might as well have pulled up a full lantern. Lol. Well.. its more than you usually find from a lantern. No turtles this time but I did see a ton of frogs and I was unaware the salamanders that you find under rocks and branches actually swim in the stagnant puddles along these dirt roads. Their bodies were too long to be tadpoles in the transformation stage. They were def salamanders.

Bucknut
06-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Lots of great finds there! That indian is in great shape. I like the barrel tap too!

leslie(nova scotia)
06-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Love that tree photo. Earned a kudos. Cannot help on the cutlery me son. Gud luck on the next hunt!

Digger_O'Dell
06-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Lots of good finds, and that IH is really nice. Well done and congrats!

aloldstuff
06-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Jim, that is the largest piece of a lantern that I have seen. I am thinking that the drilled 1/2 item is not a rosette....me thinks to thick. Nice IH.

del
06-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Wow , that first picture looks familiar Jim , were you on a flooded out old road when you took it ??

Lodge Scent
06-09-2016, 07:12 AM
I'd walk that far to find a beer tap Jim. Nice digs!

MangoAve
06-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Lots of great finds there! That indian is in great shape. I like the barrel tap too!

Thanks, Buck. I had a guy at my club meeting last night verify there was an L on the IH. I knew it had the pointed bust on it. Sweet!! Yeah, there aren't many barrel taps pulled. It sounded like a pull tab, as I said. Just lucky I didn't assume it was a pull tab cuz the beer can. Maybe the last guy did just that and left me the find. Lol. Same with the IH. It was only around a 45 VDI. And was hidden near some iron.

Love that tree photo. Earned a kudos. Cannot help on the cutlery me son. Gud luck on the next hunt!

Thanks Les. At least the fact there are a few finds in the past few threads of mine, prove I ain't been slackin' on swinging and just be fartin' around takin pics.

Lots of good finds, and that IH is really nice. Well done and congrats!

Thanks, Chris. At least there is only one unknown item here and not many off-the-wall finds here as it is usually with my finds some how. Lol.

Jim, that is the largest piece of a lantern that I have seen. I am thinking that the drilled 1/2 item is not a rosette....me thinks to thick. Nice IH.

Yeah, Al. Almost like the full one I saw Lee had pulled up. Usually its just a smaller lantern and just one piece. Maybe this was a permanent one on a post outside the house? Yeah. I could only guess rosette by the shape, not the thickness. Otherwise I have no clue. Mystery Item. Thanks.

Wow , that first picture looks familiar Jim , were you on a flooded out old road when you took it ??

Umm.. Not sure you been here before, Dan. The old map has just a stream there. Idk when It was dammed up along the road. I was standing in the road when I took the pic. The road had just a tiny bit of water, prob due to the fact the irrigation pipe was prob clogged. There had to be some reason the road was built up on the north side.

I'd walk that far to find a beer tap Jim. Nice digs!

Thanks, Jeff. You justified it for me. Lol... now if only that logic worked with the gf....

OxShoeDrew
06-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Did you ever get back there Jim? Looks like some potential there. I appreciate the pictures too...nice job!

MangoAve
06-20-2016, 06:30 AM
Did you ever get back there Jim? Looks like some potential there. I appreciate the pictures too...nice job!

Actually, last weekend I did try but the weather was crazy the past few weekends. That's where I went to score only a rosette due to the rain. Why, is school done for a time Drew can get out for a hunt? Crazy how a guy from the club, I told of a standing 1800s house he got permission, and it has some cellars out back. I might get up there this week sometime when the materials get delivered for my roof. Not only that, but a co-worker has a brother in law up near there and pointed out an area with some other cellars. They are all close enough together. Crazy.

Digger Don
06-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Looks like it was well worth the walk. Lots of cool finds. Very nice 64 Indian.
That barrel tap is a super cool find. we don't find stuff like that here in Illinois!!

MangoAve
06-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Looks like it was well worth the walk. Lots of cool finds. Very nice 64 Indian.
That barrel tap is a super cool find. we don't find stuff like that here in Illinois!!

Thanks, Don. I think Dave has only dug a few. It makes you question how there can be so many barrel rings in the ground (and I wish I had a pic of the trashy hole to back this up) yet so few taps are dug. Barrel taps can be around until the mid 1800s.. maybe they are comparable to the coronet cents that only few are dug out your way.

OxShoeDrew
06-23-2016, 05:00 AM
Actually, last weekend I did try but the weather was crazy the past few weekends. That's where I went to score only a rosette due to the rain. Why, is school done for a time Drew can get out for a hunt? Crazy how a guy from the club, I told of a standing 1800s house he got permission, and it has some cellars out back. I might get up there this week sometime when the materials get delivered for my roof. Not only that, but a co-worker has a brother in law up near there and pointed out an area with some other cellars. They are all close enough together. Crazy.
Yep, school is done....text when you want to get out.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-04-2016, 08:19 PM
that lead type half a disc thing that's broken with hole in center is part of a chain pump

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-04-2016, 08:21 PM
looks like the way to the site where i got that nice shape 1827 matron head Dan.