PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to Penny lane

Digger_O'Dell
06-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Hi all,
Hope everyone had a great weekend! I took a road trip about an hour north for a 2 day hunt in a town I haven't hunted before hoping for some less pounded ground. Turns out that after the first 5 parks and the fairgrounds I couldn't find hardly even a pull tab. Only 1 big sinker by the lake for the day. Seemed the town was sucked clean of every bit of coin and metal anywhere! But then it was on to the last park Saturday afternoon after a rain delay, but had thought unlikely to have anything. It was tiny and highly built up, but was the site of the original courthouse dating to the mid 1800s. Turned out it must have been overlooked and may never have been hit at all!
I wasn't there 2 minutes and found a 1919 wheatie. Then it just went on with one old wheatie after another until dark. Then it was off to the hotel and a soak in the hot tub and some pool time after dinner.
I returned Sunday morning and continued to find a few more wheaties when I finally turned up my oldest Indian-an 1867! Throughout the day the targets became rare, but I managed 2 more indians, a lock plate, my first 3 merry widows cover, and misc items. All in all, it turned out to be a good weekend overall despite a few big storms rolling through. I was just a bit amazed I couldn't find a single silver in all this. Next trip planning to head South to central Illinois.

Bucknut
06-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Ha! I am currently travelling down penny lane too...lots of wheats lately with not a single silver coin. BUT you found a couple great Indians! That 1867 is a semi key date I think! So congrats on the finds and hope we both get off penny lane soon!

Digger_O'Dell
06-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Yes, the 1967 is a semi key date. Book value in G4 condition is about $50. If it were in AU50, I would be looking at a $300 plus coin.

Tony Two-Cent
06-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Your perseverance paid off! Congrats on the nice finds, especially the 1867 Indian Head Cent! :clapping:

Best of luck on your trip to central Illinois. :yes:

OxShoeDrew
06-07-2016, 02:20 PM
There is a town near me that has yet to produce ANYTHING!! :lol: I feel your pain. I guess certain places have really been pounded. Nice score on the old indian. I like that key hole cover too!

Lodge Scent
06-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Nice digs! I am sure I will be whistling Penny Lane for the next several days :)

wisconsin digger
06-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Great finds Chris, I surprised as well that no silver showed up. Good luck in Illinois. WD

Digger_O'Dell
06-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Great finds Chris, I surprised as well that no silver showed up. Good luck in Illinois. WD

Thanks much! Couldn't believe there wasn't even a single rosie or Merc to be found there. Illinois should be interesting to be sure. I worked my booth there some years back during a festival there. It was like just WOW, children of the corn! It was like I stepped back into the depression era. Folks there had no idea what a kite was, and had no use for toys, crafts, etc. unless the toy had a John Deere sticker on it. So I think I'm pretty safe to assume there are no detectors in town. Looks like a lot of history at their park, school, and fairgrounds, so hoping for the place to be the happy hunting grounds. At least I hope so for an almost 3 hour drive!

aloldstuff
06-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Congrats on your oldest IH. You just never know about a site........

MangoAve
06-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Nice score on those IH. The later of the series always seem to be in good shape. 1887-1908/9. You get lucky with the ones earlier than that.
At least the finds justified the means. It always seems, tho, those wheats like to get hit by the mowers.

There is a town near me that has yet to produce ANYTHING!! :lol: I feel your pain. I guess certain places have really been pounded. Nice score on the old indian. I like that key hole cover too!

Someone beat you to it, Drew. I'll blame Dan, just because with no reason whatsoever. I'll get you a wahmbulance. :grin: