PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Old Barber spill!! Silver slump OVER!!

Bucknut
06-09-2016, 11:30 AM
I am still excited about what I found last night! I barely slept which sounds silly but its true. OK now for the story...

About 4 weeks ago I door knocked on a house built in 1886. The older couple just moved into the place and gave me permission but asked if I could come back when it was more convenient for them. So last week I stopped by again and they again asked if I could come back another time. So last night as I was driving home I decided I would try it again. This time they said have at it. Yeah finally!

So the first hole I found a 1926 wheatie and brought it over to the lady who was weeding out her garden. She was impressed and said that she collects old pennies, so I then gave it to her. After about 45 minutes I found a couple more Wheaties and walked over to her and gave her a 1916 wheatie. At this point she was hooked! I told her that I had another detector that she could use and she was very interested but was in the middle of her weeding project. She asked if I could come back another day and I replied "Of course!" Now I could take my time and not cherry pick since now I got the invite to come back. They have 4 acres of property so it will take a few more trips for sure if I want to cover it all.

Shortly thereafter I thought I was digging a wheatie when out popped a bucket lister for me....my first Civil War Store Token! It is TOAST but it states "DW Richards Drugs & Books Almont MI" 1863. I looked a bit online about this token and saw that it was listed as a Fuld rarity of 4...not too sure what that means though.

I was debating if I should show it to the owners but as I looked at it I thought that they would enjoy it more than me. So I worked my way over to the garden and was about 20 yards away when I got a 10-44 signal about 6-7 inches deep...cut a plug and I finally see a silver! YES! finally! I quickly realized that it was a Barber Quarter and I saw the last 2 digits of the date "94"! I quietly put the coin in my special awesome coin pocket and reswept the hole....12-44 still!!! I knew it was going to be good...and off to the side out pops ANOTHER Barber Quarter! This one was an 1896O !!! My Red Book says at a grade of F12 it is a $200 coin! I am not a coin grading expert but I think this coin is close to F12. Also I think the initials that someone carved on the 1894 Quarter are kinda cool...gives it a personal touch. The toning is amazing on that one too.

So I walk over to the lady and show her the Civil War Store Token and they were both amazed which was cool to see. I told them that they could have it if they wanted it but I told them that I would take it home so I could try to clean it up and take a few pics and then bring it back next time. They said that they would love it. So now I just need to come back after a heavy rain and finish up the yard with them.

Oh not done yet...as I walked back to the spot where I left my detector I decided to give it another couple swings to be sure there was nothing else there before I went on home. About 2 ft away from the Quarter spill I got a 12-44 at 6 inches. This turned out to be an 1899 O Barber dime! Not sure if these are all the same spill or not but does it matter?

So I ended the hunt on a crazy rush! Prior to these silvers I had dug 35 Wheaties with out a silver coin. I like to dig Wheaties but that was a bit of a long stretch!

Off Penny Lane and onto Barber Blvd!!!!

Thanks for looking! Jared

Digger Don
06-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Awesome Hunt. CONGRATS'
3 beautifull Barbers :clapping:
The CW store token is very cool as well!

Digger_O'Dell
06-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Nice hunt and some great barbers! Looking forward to the return trip.

del
06-10-2016, 08:05 AM
:shocked03:What a great spill !!

Ill Digger
06-10-2016, 09:31 AM
A dig like that'll kill a silver slump in a hurry!:pirate:
And what way to do it....Barbers!!!!:omg:
Congrats!:grin:

Lodge Scent
06-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Cool finds! Congrats!

BTV Digger
06-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Fantastic spill and congrats sir. Those civil war tokens can also have some value if it's a rarer variety.

John

Nesdore
06-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Nice Barbers good luck on your return trips
:congrats:

MangoAve
06-13-2016, 07:04 AM
That's a pretty sweet spill. I am surprised there was no infringement for the many times the design of the coronet cent was used later on, like for the token you got. I never looked into the rarity scale either...

The Rebel
06-13-2016, 09:23 AM
You did good in the silvers dept!

wisconsin digger
07-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Not sure how I missed this post. great spill and the condition is great as well. Nice Barbers abd bunch of wheats. WD

CladStabber
07-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Awesome finds buddy! I would work that yard hard!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk