PDA

View Full Version : Predator tools

power
06-11-2016, 04:17 AM
Looking at getting a shovel predator grass plot digger, sick of being on my knees and using a hand digger! What would you guys recommend? Looking at the Ravern 25 or Piranha?! or model do i want?
By the way i live in Australia so i will have to ship/freight it across!
Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
06-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Personally, I just use a small shovel. Short, light, inexpensive, plenty strong, and makes neat clean plugs. No serrated edges to cut roots, but doesn't snag either. Been using mine for about a year without a problem, so can't justify the cost of a predator shovel.

OxShoeDrew
06-11-2016, 05:01 PM
I agree with DOD... if your dirt doesn't have lots of roots/rocks. I tried the short handle shovels for years until they kept cracking. I went through two a year. I now use the predator...it cuts through most roots and after two years is still going strong. DOD is also right about neater plugs with the broader shovel face....the predator is about half as fat....but I seldom care about neat plugs in the woods, as my partners can attest :lol:

Gaspipe101
06-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Well since you asked ...if you dig in nice sod yeah anything will work but throw in roots and rocks and in my hands a regular shovel is a real pain. If you detect a lot like me in the woods at cellar sites ;etc you just can't beat a Piranah 35 . I know they are not cheap but I use mine a ton and it is worth every nickel I spent on it.

MangoAve
06-13-2016, 07:10 AM
I've been impressed with the mini-Sampson. I went through a few shovels. The only hand trowel that has held up is the one from metaldetector.com (The one out of MA). But obvi you are looking for a shovel, not a trowel. The mini-Sampson is a little easier to use when kneeling, but you are going to have to kneel down to pick up your find anyway. Plus you gotta lug it around, whatever you decide on.