PDA

View Full Version : merc at CO 43

randy
08-08-2010, 06:39 PM
This was a little weird, merc at CO 43 at 5 inches on the E-Trac. Wasn't the best signal either. I think there was iron underneath it as the threshold nulled when rescanning. So, I guess that means ferrous objects in the area can mess with the signal to this degree? This should have been a strong CO 45. I don't remember any nulling when I hit the target initially, so maybe it was directly underneath it? I didn't feel like digging it out to find out lol

The thing is I haven't been digging many 43s at this site, since I'm trying to minimize stress to the grass given the heat and the dryness (and I water each plug when done), so digging targets that don't have much chance of being silver is expensive. So maybe I've missed other silvers by not digging shallowish CO 43s (I dig all the 40+ deep ones). If we get a good rain I'll go back and dig 'em I guess.

angellionel
08-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I have had quite a few like that, but I find that it is generally the deep ones that tend to hit on the lower CO end. I have had seated dimes consistently hit at 42. :yes:

coinnut
08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I had a CO 44 Merc at the house I was doing and it had to be 3 or less. It may have been on an angle and did have a lot of ferrous and non ferrous targets very close by. I wasn't digging CO44's all day long because I always think they are Memorials. I think we miss some good targets, but if you are trying to conserve time and energy, there will always be some casualties :-\

pulltabsteve
08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
You minelab guys have me scratching my head with these numbers... :grin: I just may have to get a minelab to see what these numbers are all about. Congrats on the Merc!

coinnut
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
You minelab guys have me scratching my head with these numbers... :grin: I just may have to get a minelab to see what these numbers are all about. Congrats on the Merc!

rofl Yeah, the CO numbers are just like White's numbers but ours only go to 50 instead of 95. The lower the CO number the lower the conductivity of the target. Exa CO 02 Foil, CO 12 nickel, CO 34 Indian Head CO 46 SILVER WHO HOO lol

tanacat
08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I thought ya'll were talking about digging in Colorado 8/

lol no I'm not serious...

coinnut
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I thought ya'll were talking about digging in Colorado 8/

lol no I'm not serious...

Too bad, cause that's exactly what I was talking about ;)

Ill Digger
08-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Too bad, cause that's exactly what I was talking about ;)
rofl

Maybe it was reading the date off of it lol
I can't pay as much attention to the numbers when the sirens are going off :twirlingeyes:
I know I had a Rosie ring up as a CO 47 :shocked01: :confused: :eyebrow: :dontknow: :happydance01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-12-2010, 05:53 AM
nice merc! glad ya didn't pass up on that one!