PDA

View Full Version : Tokens and some recent finds.

MangoAve
06-16-2016, 12:26 PM
First hunt included here I had gotten out with Kev after work. I had picked out an open space to try out, but otw there I did spot an elementary school in the older section of town. The open space didn't have much targets. There were a few deep cans and an iron washer kinda fooled the machine. I could tell it wasn't a great signal, but to check it out I still dug it up. The place was all tall grass except for a spot that was mowed. So we went up to the school. I actually found some pretty cool tokens. Double tokens. Seems the Connecticut Co. was a derivative of the Connecticut light and rail. After they switched from railroad to the trollies they went to busses. These tokens were good for one school bus fare. Hence why they were found at a school. The tokens only date to the early 70's. I did also pull up a mangled clock gear from a bigger pocket watch. Predating the school for whatever was there. The old map isn't clear on certain areas as with all of the Petersen maps. The keys and the Lyman lead weight were found in a different schoolyard. The one where I got the recent '42 Washington quarter.

The past weekend I did get out to my new spot. As soon as I was like 3/4 the way there it started with the light rain. It got heavier as I got to the area. I was gonna try a few spots off the currently used road, before checking the dead road. I def found one of the holes. I didn't have much time there until the thunder scared me away. The rain was heavy, but the foliage protected me a little. Not from the lightling, it wouldn't. So that was it. I did manage a nice rosette there. I cleaned it up a bit with clr, but only a quick cleaning. Nothing thorough. The salt shaker cover in the further pics was from a really trashy cellar.
This week I got a permission at an 1830 house. First time I showed up, I had to come back. He did ask to be able to see what I find. Unfortunately he didn't answer the door when I was to leave for home. He might have been busy at the time, but Ill go back. Near the barns I found another rein guide. The loop is thin. Its currently in the bottom of my 'junk' bag as It was too big for a pocket. No pic now.. but who hasn't seen one already? Maybe Ill take the pic. Also in that area was a 52 registration tag. Just over the driveway was a dick tracy toy gun. I think the yard was filled at some point as the dirt was different consistency. There was no shortage of iron in the yard, however. On the hill by the house I did score a Merc ('42-S) and a '42 wheat. On another slight hill were the remains of two watches. A deteriorated dial from a small one and the remnants of a full size one. I got part of the assembly and bezel in one hole, and the cover in another. Maybe it got mangled by the mower after it was lost. lol. Finally I scored one of those Vulcan ornate gas nozzles. Dang, those sound good in the headphones.
Yesterday wasn't too great. I did get a lead to a 1722.. but I will have to return there when the owners are present, not someone watching the house. AND... I did have a place I was looking into. I saw a house marked on the old map. It was way off the normal road. The driveway did pass thru another old houses' property. I did the work, researching, checking out historical aerials, and overlaying the old map to the new map and to the parcel layout to find which area it was located. Using the GIS I found the owner lives in a late 1700s house as well. A month ago I tried to knock. No one answered. I went back a few weeks ago, same thing. I called the listed number with no answer. This time I caught his son outside to go in and get him for me. Too bad he told me the house he lived in was promised to his friend about a month ago. Well, that sucks but is not the big issue. That house was only just realized by me from the original spot I was interested in. I told him I was particularly interested in the other property, as I am used to cellar holes. He told me he would first ask the other detectorist if he wanted the prop first. WTH? I was sure to mention I did the work to research and find it and ask. None of that is easy. I really hope he is not going to give the prop to the other guy; to be fair let the guy have the current house and me get the cellar prop, or even tell him about it. Idk... hopefully if he does tell the other detectorist, that he has a conscience and will say no. I know it'd be hard to say "oh, another free spot to check out that I didn't have to do anything to find.. no thanks." Maybe the other guy wont even question how the owner knows there is something out there. I've never found a virgin spot, not saying this is, but it could potentially be. No I didn't show him the GPS or which parcel I thought it was as there are 3 or 4 out there he owns, but yes I did tell him there was a cellar out there cuz I had to give a reason why I was interested to check it out.

Digger_O'Dell
06-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Lots of interesting finds, nicely done! Yes, I feel your pain going through a ton of research only to be snubbed by the owner, or beat out by someone who just got there by sheer luck. I've been realizing recently that there's a ton of hunting pressure all over my region and even permissions often were hit hard previously. :shocked04: so at this point any well researched place is still a crap shoot if anything is left due to previous digs or by use of heavy earth moving equipment. So I'm off at 4AM Friday on a 3 hour drive to a 3 day hunt that I'm hoping is rural enough to not have been hit, so crossing my fingers. Hope you have luck getting your permission despite the odds, or that you find your honey hole soon. GL&HH

Lodge Scent
06-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Good luck on that potential cellar hole Jim. Not sure it would be much of an ethical dilemma for the other detectorist to say "heck yeah, I want to hunt that spot". Now if he was a member of AD and he knew it was you....then that might be a different story.....I would hope so anyway :)

MangoAve
06-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Lots of interesting finds, nicely done! Yes, I feel your pain going through a ton of research only to be snubbed by the owner, or beat out by someone who just got there by sheer luck. ........So I'm off at 4AM Friday on a 3 hour drive to a 3 day hunt that I'm hoping is rural enough to not have been hit, so crossing my fingers. Hope you have luck getting your permission despite the odds, or that you find your honey hole soon. GL&HH

Thanks, Chris. I gotta deal with living in the same area as Dan, Dave, and Todd. So any place that isn't touched I've gotta hope for. I can commend for being honest, as he could have just said he didn't want detectorists there, and behind my back tell his friend about the area. Taught me not to rely on just one spot, tho, so I been working on a standing 1722 and an 1800. The 1722 at least looks like very little to the yard was changed even if the parcel is only the house and the farmland was developed. The 1800 has only been in two family names, lasting about 100 yrs each. I don't think it has been detected, but the owner said there was folklore about some Indian activity on the property. As I got home it sparked that a 1600s house I was told the nephew detects already, the owner had told me arrow heads have been found in the fields. The props are not that far from each other.

To answer the other part, guess crossing your fingers worked. Looked like u got some luck lately. :thumbsup01:

Good luck on that potential cellar hole Jim. Not sure it would be much of an ethical dilemma for the other detectorist to say "heck yeah, I want to hunt that spot". Now if he was a member of AD and he knew it was you....then that might be a different story.....I would hope so anyway :)

Thanks, Jeff. The owner told me his friend belongs to a club. He didn't recognize YTC and most likely not the one out of Shelton, CT. That's way too far. I think there is a smaller set of 'unofficial' clubs. He did make a mention of black snakes in the area.. I can hope he was just waiting for the area to be less active with wildlife. Of course the other guy would def want to hunt it regardless of the moral stand point. It was also on FB I mentioned, so if he's part of that group....

OxShoeDrew
06-21-2016, 05:27 PM
You've been busy!! Keep it up! I have a 52 plate reg too, mine is blue though.

MangoAve
06-22-2016, 08:57 AM
You've been busy!! Keep it up! I have a 52 plate reg too, mine is blue though.

I haven't been as busy detecting as I would like to have been In past two weeks. But, the weather was crazy. A few days it turned out to be ridic wind after a warm morning. And the few thunder storms. I think my 52 reg was a different spot. Maybe yours was blue, but had the two tabs on it. Unless it was the same and halfway through the year CT changed its color on the registration tags. Idk..