PDA

View Full Version : South of the border trip day 1- silver, seated!

Digger_O'Dell
06-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Hi all,
On a 3 day hunting trip with my girl down to Illinois where I had hoped to find some areas that weren't cleaned out already. Figured if I went rural enough there might be a chance of hitting silver again.
Well, as it turns out I wasn't completely wrong. The first site was a little town of 250 maybe that dates back to the mid 1800s. Nice little park, but turned out to be void of anything but a few clad and pull tabs. Then it was off to the main town I was hoping to do much better in. Well, the fairgrounds were apparently hit hard, also only giving up a few clad. There wasn't even trash! Later we hit the one old park that I hoped would turn up something. Well, I wasn't 10 feet into it when I got a shallow 12-43, but decided to dig the penny signal expecting to see the usual zincoln. But about 4 inches down I see a silver rim. Pull it out and was amazed to see a silver dime. Not any dime, buy an 1853 seated! Banged up and worn, but still my first ever seated! The day ended with one more silver Washington.
Off to a couple new sites Saturday, hoping to continue the trend.

Digger_O'Dell
06-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Bucknut
06-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Awesome way to start your road trip! Nice old seated dime!

Digger Don
06-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Congrats on the Illinois Seated Dime!! Hope you dig lots of great finds here in Illinois.

Digger_O'Dell
06-18-2016, 10:06 PM
Congrats on the Illinois Seated Dime!! Hope you dig lots of great finds here in Illinois.

Thanks Don! From what I gather is that the seated was one of a couple items missed by you and Tony some time back here in Mendota. But also talking to a local today there is a guy from Paw Paw that works in Mendota that detects, which would explain why most every place around has been picked clean. Also told many of the nearby towns have banned detecting due to people leaving open holes and damaging parks so my other plans are shot.
So now it's my last night In town and looking forward to hitting a few other locations on the way home that I only hope haven't been hit. I'll get today's few finds posted soon.

wisconsin digger
06-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Congrats on your 1st seated. WD

groundhog53946
06-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Congrats on the seated!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

MangoAve
06-20-2016, 07:18 AM
Nice score on a seated. I wonder how it got all banged up. A park wouldn't have been plowed and being 4" down, it prob wasn't killed by the lawnmower at some point.