PDA

View Full Version : South of the border trip day 2- Praise to the CTX!

Digger_O'Dell
06-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Hi all!
Well, do 2 in Illinois was a bit interesting to say the least. After speaking to an old timer, he directed us to a park he said was around basically since the beginning of time. It took about a half hour to get there over very rural roads and even getting lost for a bit on a gravel road through some fields. Then I wasn't there 10 minutes when a worker drove up and says detecting isn't allowed there and it's a criminal offense, and that he's enforcement in the area. Wow, am I going to jail for detecting? He admitted it wasn't posted, and noticed the out of state plates so would let it slide especially since there weren't open holes or even obvious of digging. We did chat a bit and he said they passed the no detecting ban there because of irresponsible digging in the past causing lots of damage. :shocked04:
We then hightailed it out of there asap back to Mendota and safer digging. Went back to the park where I got the seated, but didn't even find clad for about an hour. But in one corner I got a deep sketchy12-36 with a second iron signal with it. As I dug I found numerous nails on the way down, but finally at about 10 inches I pull up a large decorative pin about the size of a western belt buckle. Its missing some stones, but still in good shape considering -even has the pin! If anyone has an idea of age, love to hear from you.

After about another hour of no finds I decided to try another nearby park. Only got 1 interesting find in a back corner, which was an aluminum star badge looking piece. It has some writing I can't make out other than the first which looks to read "Edward..".

Lastly I decided to try the park around Lake Mendota. I had a hunch it was pretty much hunted out like everything else. Turns out I was right. But in an area far out from the lake and sort of isolated as I was working the edges I once again got a deep multiple signal, one being a faint 12-45 showing between 8 to 10 inches. First thing found at about 4 inches I got a big rusty square nail. After this I dug a few more inches before my pinpointer got a signal. At about 9 to 10 inches I got a ball of dirt with a silver rim sticking out. Pulled it out to find a nice 1942 merc! Thats twice today, and 3 times this trip the CTX has shown treasures hidden from the other machines. As it turns out it was also my last coin of the day, but a nice way to head back to the hotel. Just odd, thinking my last trip was only all old copper, this trip so far was only silver-not even a wheatie.

Sunday I'm headed back to Wisconsin. But I have a new list of town to stop in along the way, and hope I can find some place that hasn't been vacuumed clean of all the goodies.
Thanks for reading, HH&GL!

wisconsin digger
06-19-2016, 04:35 AM
Nice finds Chris. Need to find a few new spots as well. Probably will start searching west of me in hopes a park or two. Nice finds DL

Digger Don
06-19-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm glad you had a good weekend down here. You were only a couple towns away from where i dug my first seated coin a couple of years ago.
Congrats on your finds. That Pin/ Buckle is pretty cool.

MangoAve
06-20-2016, 06:24 AM
That pin is a nice find. Whether those are stones or cut glass, I'd put it in the latter part of the Victorian era. 1880s-1901.

The aluminum badge thing...it's definitely aluminum, but it's one of those good luck tokens they had at carnivals/fairs where you could stamp whatever you want around the rim. I've found two so far. The last one I got had an address that doesn't exist. Or no longer exists if the town changed the street names over sometime since the 70's.

Sucks about the park being off limits. Shows what other's negligence has done to the hobby. It's like that with everything lately, not just detecting. I'd say it's no longer freedom, but I know a few will get into a rant about politics. lol.

Digger_O'Dell
06-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Nice finds Chris. Need to find a few new spots as well. Probably will start searching west of me in hopes a park or two. Nice finds DL

I need to do more research headed west also, and my be north. There's got to be somewhere that hasn't seen a detector yet. Now that I've got my ex on board and enjoying detecting and the trips, it's opened up more opportunities.