PDA

View Full Version : Hobby or Sport ???

Dimeman
07-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I have been reading some other forums and also noticed that there are a lot of metal detector users who say they are in "the sport of metal detecting".

I know we all want to have the "best finds", and this is just a question-----------not asked to make anyone offended----------but do you metal detect for the enjoyment of finding the unknown under your coil, or hunting at only at seeded sites or a competition hunts only for the competition (sport)?

Digger_O'Dell
07-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Just my 2c worth, I'm after collectable coins and relics. It the excitement of seeing silver in the hole, or finding a piece of history. It's the anticipation when hearing a good signal, sort of like a kid seeing a huge wrapped box under the christmas tree. Personally, I also enjoy the research and discovering lost historical sites, then planning to visit and see what the inhabitants of old may have lost. It gives a connection to the past I guess.
So to answer your question, I would say part hobby, part sport, and part obsession.

Lodge Scent
07-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Digger pretty much sums it up for me as well...... except maybe for me it's the excitement of seeing a big copper in the hole ;)

Kman
07-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Garrett is now considering the hobby to be a sport. Whites with things like their Easter egg hunt on public property, have went the sport route too.

Full Metal Digger
07-04-2016, 06:54 AM
I guess it's like golf. It's a hobby and a sport. The real question is whether or not those who think of it as a sport can be called athletes!

leslie(nova scotia)
07-05-2016, 07:09 AM
Well to each his/her own. me its an adicction....Hi my name is Leslie and I'm a digaholic!

JeremyNova
07-07-2016, 10:13 PM
I have been reading some blog (http://www.kingdetector.com) about metal detecting.i guess it is a hobby and also a sports.It needs stamina.But you will get great pleasure if you find someting.:cheesysmile:

Dimeman
07-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Just something to think about------------If it considered a sport, (As Garrett shows and Whites shows) then we all should be allowed to use any location that is in use for public sports. We all know we do less damage to grassy areas than those sports shoes with cleats because those people rarely attempt to repair the holes they tear in the fields they use.

Digger_O'Dell
07-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Using that analogy as a sport, that would also be a cause for restriction. Think of it this way-auto racing is a sport, but you sure can't go racing around the local park, could you? So would you rather see a specified cordoned off or fenced in detecting area? Probably not....

OxShoeDrew
07-10-2016, 04:49 AM
I'd guess it would be sport at a seeded event where one tries to out-find others...and a hobby when we're coin shooting in a park or relic hunting a cellar hole.

SeabeeRon
07-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Hobby all the way for me! It is relaxation and exercise at the same time!!

del
07-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Well I guess next to regular "hobby" of coin collecting it would be a sport , after all we are doing physical activity in obtaining these coins . I too am in agreement as SeaBeeRon , I do it to relax and piece of mind its a hobby for me .

BTV Digger
07-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Totally agree with Dan and consider the extra exercise as a bonus. With the cellar hole hunting some of us do up here in the northeast you frequently put in several miles of walking/hiking on each hunt, which if done in reason (keeping hydrated etc) can be quite beneficial to your overall health...if you discount the briar scratches and mosquito bites :hystericallaugh:.

John

del
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
...if you discount the briar scratches and mosquito bites :hystericallaugh:.

John

Hey John that might make it a "contact sport" :lol: