PDA

View Full Version : King George in Michigan??!!

Bucknut
07-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Here are my recent finds. I revisited the house I got all of those Barbers and just found a lonely Rosie. Rest of the finds came from various old parks. Included with those silvers were a few tokens...Winchester Junior Rifle Corps badge, A Detroit pin, and a Token that says "Children Founders Roll Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial".

I had a surprise find on Friday at an old park. I dug what I first thought was a slick large cent. After rubbing it a bit I could see the letters "D G REX" and the "III". So I was pretty sure I had a King George copper. Its really hard to see these in the pic as you have to get it just right with the lighting. On the other side I could see the number "0 5". I was able to remove a bit of corrosion and get a full date of 1805.

I did a little bit of research and this coin I am 100% sure is an Irish Hibernia from 1805. The hole in it made it difficult to ID but I noticed part of the Harp thingy on the coin and the letters in "Hibernia" matched up nicely with the couple letters I could see on my coin. Here is what they should look like...

On Saturday I took the kids to an old school to give the wife a break and my eldest found his first silver..1920D merc. He was super excited!

Thanks for looking! Jared

Digger_O'Dell
07-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Holy cow Jared, what's that Hibernia doing in Michigan? Could be the oldest coin lost in the state! :wow::notworthy:
Nice score on the silvers and the rest too.

Bucknut
07-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Holy cow Jared, what's that Hibernia doing in Michigan? Could be the oldest coin lost in the state! :wow::notworthy:
Nice score on the silvers and the rest too.

No not the oldest over found here in Michigan...lots of history around here dating to the early 1700's. I got a Chinese coin that dates between 1725 and 1795 a couple years ago.

This coin is my oldest dated coin though! and of course it is my first KG coin.

Tony Two-Cent
07-05-2016, 02:07 PM
What a cool find! Good job on the ID too, you nailed it. Poor King George III was not a very handsome fellow, I'm afraid. :lol:

Congrats on the awesome recovery! :thumbsup02:

Digger_O'Dell
07-05-2016, 02:29 PM
No not the oldest over found here in Michigan...lots of history around here dating to the early 1700's. I got a Chinese coin that dates between 1725 and 1795 a couple years ago.

This coin is my oldest dated coin though! and of course it is my first KG coin.

Good info, I had no idea there was that much history there. Here across the pond there is history of French traders in some areas dating back to the late 1500s. But i think it's highly unlikely I'll ever see a coin from back then. It's getting tough to find a wheatie any more! :lol:

wisconsin digger
07-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Great finds. No respect for the King George as it looks like it was tuned into a washer. Nice finds all around. WD

Lodge Scent
07-06-2016, 08:05 AM
A Michigan dug Hibernia....that is a nice find!

del
07-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Congrats on your oldest coin Bucknut , if only that old coin could tell us where its been and seen

leslie(nova scotia)
07-15-2016, 06:48 AM
Nice old copper and silver. Those harp tokens do get around!

MangoAve
07-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Wow. Nice to find one of those old coins there. The hole looks square, so I am guessing it was hammered to put a hole for the string. Great ID on it. The Winchester medal is unique. Are you sure the stone mountain item is a token? It has a slot in the top. Looks more like a pendant. Prob a commemorative necklace from a gift shop. I did visit stone mountain but it was too long ago to remember wth they had in the gift shops. And we visited the coke bottling factory when on the tour we were asked the 'password' and my brother used Pepsi.

Bucknut
07-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Wow. Nice to find one of those old coins there. The hole looks square, so I am guessing it was hammered to put a hole for the string. Great ID on it. The Winchester medal is unique. Are you sure the stone mountain item is a token? It has a slot in the top. Looks more like a pendant. Prob a commemorative necklace from a gift shop. I did visit stone mountain but it was too long ago to remember wth they had in the gift shops. And we visited the coke bottling factory when on the tour we were asked the 'password' and my brother used Pepsi.

Yes you are right...the Stone Mountain find is probably a medallion or pendant...not a token. AND your brother is a funny guy!

OxShoeDrew
07-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Can't beat that collection of finds! :congrats:

milco
07-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Congrats on finding that old copper! Do you think that coin was original to that park, or brought in some fill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucknut
07-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Congrats on finding that old copper! Do you think that coin was original to that park, or brought in some fill?

Hard to say for sure but I don't think that there is any fill dirt in this park. All of the maps show no homes or buildings in the park either...oldest map is 1850's. So I think it was dropped in this park back in the mid 1800's.