PDA

View Full Version : Couple short hunts, road trip, and unusual silver

Digger_O'Dell
07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Hi all,
Went on a short hunt Tuesday after work at the old zoo and found an unusual silver- a 1943 Australian 3 pence! Its quite small, very good condition, and turns out its .925 silver. Here's the link to the specs: http://www.allcoinvalues.com/australian-coins-and-notes/1943-australian-threepence-value.html

Thursday I went on a road trip about 2.5 hours across the state attempting to find some place that wasn't hit. My ex wanted to come along and detect too so ended up about 6 hours late leaving home, the lost a lot of detecting time listening to rants about the heat, humidity, etc. I suppose most can relate to this! :lol:
The first little hamlet I had great hopes for. It has a lot of history and has an old school house at the corner of the park. But as it turns out it had been dug up and refilled in the recent past. Only one area between a couple trees gave up a rosie and a couple wheats, a 1919 and a 1929. I also found what looked to be an irrigation nozzel still in its plastic tube.

So off to the next town. Once again delayed because she was hungry. But around dusk we finally made the park. Almost immediately I started finding deep wheaties, and ended up with 4 of them before dark and a long ride home. But, at least this town warrants a return trip soon, as it also has a couple more old parks nearby.

Lastly, I had about an hour before work so I stopped at the old zoo once more. No keeper coins this time, but I did find another watch, an old looking copper bracelet with 3 indian thunderbird engraved on it, and some junker jewelry. In total I also got $8.86 in clad.

Digger_O'Dell
07-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Here is the bracelet after significant cleaning and Ren wax. It's obviously hand made.

Bucknut
07-08-2016, 08:31 PM
The 3 pence is a cool find! Hope you get back to the old park you found the deep wheats...some promise there!

Digger_O'Dell
07-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Doing more research, turns out the old park used to be the dite of a school until the mid 60s. That explains the topography and lack of anything in the middle. Everything I found was around the perimeter.
Secondly, I found a couple more parks in town not shown on google maps. One I think is recently built, but on an old lot under the water tower. Guess they wanted to put open space to use, but could be old stuff there too.

wisconsin digger
07-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Nice finds. Sad to say I was set to go out tonight but could not motivate. Must be the heat. Nice finds Chris. WD

BTV Digger
07-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Nice old Aussie coin and love the bracelet. Man, you're a determined detectorist! A 2.5 hour road trip would get me out of state in nearly every direction! HH!

John

MangoAve
07-13-2016, 10:18 AM
That's and interesting bracelet, Chris. Interesting to find Aussie silva here too.

Ohh... and I checked your write up to verify... That 'irrigation nozzle' I guess you've never worked on furnaces before. I have only worked on my own (not as a profession). Those are nozzles for oil furnaces. That's the jet for the burner.

Digger_O'Dell
07-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Oil burner nozzle, hadn't thought of that, thanks! I've found many irrigation nozzles in the past that look identical, but without the filter. But it makes perfect sense from a design standpoint.